1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike skates off into the sunset...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 9, 2007.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Put its hockey division up for sale.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/264767

Paid $395 million for it in '94, will be lucky to get $150 million.

The skates were all the rage with kids for about a year or so until word spread that their skates were, to put it mildly, crap.

And, of course, because they were Nike, they were about $200.00 more than better skates by other manufacturers.

Good riddance.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'll take my CCMs anyday.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Nothin' better than Tacks!

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What she said. That's all I've worn since I can remember.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'd say it's a shame, but I'd be a dirty liar.

6. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Super Tacks ever since I could remember. I did have a pair of Langes back in the mid 1970s. Way too stiff.

7. JR

JR Active Member

Interesting bit of Cliff Claven trivia about CCM.

CCM stands for the Canadian Cycle and Motor Company and was originally founded to counter the American importation of bicycles in the early 1900's.

After they exhausted the bike market, they switched their focus to the next big thing: hockey.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I thought the deal was that the Nike brand in hockey sucked. Then they purchased the much more established Bauer.

As much disdain as Nike sometimes deservedly receives, this is bad news. Consumers of hockey products should be desirable of more companies competing for their dollars.

On top of this, Nike is a company that has never been shy with marketing. They are one of the reasons why soccer has begun to garner more attention.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

I'm still using my pre-Nike Bauer skates from '91. Love 'em. I've also got a post-Nike Bauer blocker that has been a good friend, thanks very much.

But I'm less concerned with Nike bailing than I am with the dollar's weakness against the looney. No more bargains on Canadian-made equipment.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree jr - I happen to think that the Bauer vapor skates are right up there with anything that CCM puts out.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had a pair of Bauer Turbos once.. thought they wer fine -- right until I caught a puck in the ankle rivet... two weeks later when I could walk right again, they went to my brother.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

CCM skates -- the only way to fly!

Draft saved Draft deleted