1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike Launches Offensive Sneakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Similar situation about six years ago after Ben & Jerry's released their (delicious) Black & Tan ice cream. From Wikipedia:

The company raised controversy in 2006 after releasing a flavor of ice cream called "Black and Tan." It had named the flavor after the alcoholic drink made by mixing stout with pale ale. However, outrage stemmed from the fact that Black and Tans was also a name given to the irregular force of British ex-servicemen recruited during the Irish War of Independence and renowned for their brutality.

And, if you're interested in the source material from The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/19/ireland

2. joe

joe Active Member

I thought they were talking about the coon hound. Seriously.

If you're going to make a proper half-and-half, you have to use Harp (an Irish beer), not Bass (English beer) along with your Guinness.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or just have Yuengling do it for you:

[​IMG]

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If you want offensive, check out what Nike's paying for the shoe's labor cost.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is perfection, right there.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Hopefully they hit the Google before releasing their new athletic "brown shirts".

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't Nike get in trouble a few years ago because the curvy font they found that looked so good as a decoration turned out to be an Arabic script and it spelled out pussycat or something equally offensive.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What I thought of at first:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. mb

mb Active Member

IIRC, it looked like it spelled out Allah

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So it's kind of like Kansas naming its athletic teams the Jayhawks then.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Holy fuck ... normally I'm telling everyone to cool the fuck out when it comes to issues like this. But finally, one comes up where it applies to me. I'm 100 percent Irish and I have a full ass red beard. So everyone needs to cool the fuck out. As a fully fledged Irish American, I can say with absolute certainty that I'm not offended by this because I wasn't alive, and neither was anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted