1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike Launches Offensive Sneakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Outrage-as--Nike-issue-Black-and-Tan-sneaker-line-for-St-Patricks-Day-142180103.html#ixzz1p9uYliOU

What are your thoughts on this?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Never heard of 'The Black and Tan.'

Are the shoes available in Ireland? I skimmed the story but didn't see it mentioned. If they are for sale there, I can see offense taken. If not, I don't see why it's an issue.

The shoes aren't too bad looking.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

A night of black and tans and Irish car bombs will take their minds off of it.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

For anyone who doesn't know, the Black and Tans were a group of British veterans and mercenaries that absolutely terrorized Ireland during the 1920's. They were pretty much known for randomly killing civilians, often by dragging them out of their houses at night and shooting them in the street, burning and sacking whole towns and villages, even murdering catholic priests.

5. At the very least, Nike didn't do its research...like check the Wikipedia page for Black and Tan, which I did just out of curiosity.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That Nike should buy a "computer" with a Googler attachment so the folks down in marketing or product development can look up "history."

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Tell the Irish to shut up and stop whining! [/zagoshe]

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Get your reservation in now for Nike's newest style: The Jackboot!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did the Irish name their own beer cocktail after this then? Used to drink those in college when I wanted to feel sophisticated. My friends who are beer snobs would probably scoff at the concoction the way others scoff at the Olive Garden review, but that's neither her nor there.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You're no better that the Nike marketing dept. Have you ever heard of Google ? :)

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There are a lot of Irish bars that won't serve Black and Tans or Car Bombs.

Unless you're in a South Side bar. You can get anything in a South Side Irish bar. They're a different kind of Irish.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In an Irish setting, it's likely called a "half and half."

Draft saved Draft deleted