1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike Field Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ThatGuy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's just the kind of language that people aged 18-24 use, understand and like. And, you know, that is Nike's stated target audience for this ad.

This is all part of the changing landscape, in which even formal job ads read, and are, more like blogging than anything more formal than that.

2. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

They've got to have something hot for the jocks to appear with.

3. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I am in that demo and I think it's a disgrace. Maybe I'm too old school, but damn.

::cough:: E. Andrews ::cough::

I mean, she does a great job and single handedly ruined sports journalism for women every where. Congrats!

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The two young Editudes are in that age group, and both like and follow sports; neither uses that old-guy-trying-to-sound-hip-five-years-ago language. They may text and live in the open online, but they don't talk like Stu Scott.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Give 18-24 year olds some credit. I suspect they like that sort of language when talking with their friends but know enough to be insulted by it in a formal setting such as a job ad.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hope there is an opening for a Converse Field Reporter soon. That would be far out.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Maybe they're not. There must be an unemployed sports writer someplace with a lawyer wife.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Stephen A. Smith, D.J. Stuey Scott and Scoop Jackson all are very mad at you.......

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

" . . . ask the question that no one else dares to ask . . .

Yeah, and I'll lay 20-to-1 odds that question is something brilliant, like, "How did your Nike-logoed wrist bans help you perform today? Can you show them to the camera?"

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Obviously this isn't journalism. But if my kid was studying PR/marketing in college I'd put this under her nose pretty fast.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're terribly proud of being ignorant of some of the best athletes in the world. Go educate yourself. Everybody should know who all four of those women are. All of them are at the top of their respective sports.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That's a little harsh, I think. I only know two of the women listed, but it's not because I don't care about women athletes. I don't know a thing about snowboarding and soccer and although I play softball in the States, I've never watched as anything beyond a college sport (which is exactly as I've done to football.)

If you listed the current top five male athletes in those sports right now, I'd have a hard time matching them to their respective sports. I could list NFL players, but, quite honestly, I probably couldn't link them to their teams, especially now that I've been gone from the States for close to two years.

It's the sport I don't care about, not the gender of the person playing it.

I also don't know much about the best surgeons, professors, opera singers, painters or genetic engineers of the world. I'm not proud of that, but I don't feel the need to educate myself. I'm just not interested. In my case, it's not a gender thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted