1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike, adidas and Marcus Jordan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Oct 22, 2009.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

UFC wanted the prestige of having a young Jordan playing for them. I think Adidas buckles first and lets Marcus wear the shoes. Otherwise Nike will come through and pay some extra sponsorship money.

I can understand why Marcus wouldn't wear anything but Jordans, those shoes are part of the reason he's partial AIR err heir to almost a billion dollars.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Marcus Jordan couldn't play for Florida, Arizona, Syracuse, Maryland, Memphis, Duke, Georgetown, or University of North Carolina

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I tell the kid, "You can wear whatever show you want, but we reserve the right to paint (or patch) an adidas logo over anything you wear." (just as tennis players do with their rackets).

You honored your promise --- kid gets to wear whatever shoe he wants.

4. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

What if he had gone to Ohio State, which is a "LeBron" school?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If that happens, then the other kids will be able to cover their logos as well. A precedent will be set.

I'm just loving the chaos that this is causing. It's about time. The NCAA is finally getting caught up in its own hypocrisy.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How is this hypocrisy by the NCAA?

How is it hypocrisy when a school negotiates an outfitting deal for its entire athletic department with an apparel/shoe company? Would it be less hypocritical if they made the kids pay for their own gear?

If you want to hate the NCAA that's fine, but try and make some semblance of sense in your argument.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because the NCAA allows it. The same organization that won't allow kids to accept a free soda allows them to receive free sneakers, as long as the school can profit from it. Everyone can profit except for the athletes. You can argue that receiving scholarships is their profit. Sounds great and all, until they miss a bunch of classes because their team has to travel during the week.

Schools provided uniforms and other gear to their athletes for decades. They never received million-dollar payments before (at least legitimately). The coaches didn't receive money from shoe companies. Now, in the last (perhaps) 15 years or so, there's all this money that schools and coaches are receiving. Meanwhile, the athlete gets nothing, except some free gear, that they are told to wear. If an athlete decides he wants to wear some other gear, the school slams him.

A while back in SI, I read a story about a football player who was seen and photographed on campus wearing another shoe company's gear. The company got on the phone to the school, and had them 'straighten' the kid out.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Update on this: Marcus wore Nikes for an exhbition game and adidas is dropin git's affiliation with the school.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida has cost the school any future sponsorship with adidas.
    In an e-mail to The Associated Press, adidas spokeswoman Andrea Corso says the school "has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas,'' prompting the company not to continue its relationship with the school moving forward.
    Freshman guard Marcus Jordan wore a pair of white Air Jordans during UCF's exhibition game against Saint Leo on Wednesday night, the Orlando Sentinel reported on its Web site.
    UCF is in the final year of a five-year contract with adidas. A school spokesman did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I predict UCF very shortly signs a deal with Nike, and Marcus Jordan amazingly gets plenty of playing time.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

This is just sad. It reminds me of an AAA all-star game years ago when the top player pouted because someone else got his jersey number. Only this is mega-times the attitude.

Someone doesn't have the balls to say, "Here are your (whatever we wear) shoes. Wear them or you don't dress." But I know no one has balls anymore or a lot of crap like this wouldn't happen.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for adidas..

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Motion seconded.

Draft saved Draft deleted