1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike, adidas and Marcus Jordan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Said it once, say it again.

If your dad is Michael freakin Jordan, the school is going to let you wear gawd-dam flip flops if you want.

And considering Papa Jordan has a brand new house going up in Florida, it's just a hour plane ride in the G4 to check in on things.

Marcus' feet will never see the inside of a pair of Adidas shoes.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

And so what if adidas pulls out of its deal? I'm sure Nike would love the publicity that would generate by picking p the tab.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why was it a disgusting act?

I'm not saying this just to be contrary. The way they handled it was silly. But a disgusting act?

They were players who got paid a lot of money to endorse Nike products. The USOC got paid a lot of money to endorse Reebok products. The athletes were there to play for the USA, not to get the USOC paid, and especially at the expense of their own finances from endorsements.

The looked silly by draping the flag to cover the Reebok logo, but a disgusting act? Those athletes got paid by Nike, not Reebok. The USOC should have never put professional athletes who had agreed to play for their country in that position in the first place.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

On behalf of Joe Buck, Randy Moss would like to voice his displeasure at this disgusting act

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I loved what Randy Moss did.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just wanted to use the Buck quote.

It was embarrassing, though.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I thought it was funny, right up there with TO and the Dallas star.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have revered MJ but screw this. The kid wants to play on the team, you do as the team does, that's what a team is. You want him to wear Jordans? Got to a "Jordan" team. The "label" team thing stinks.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This has little to do with abstract concepts such as 'team'. This has to do with money, plain and simple.

And according to the NCAA, these 'student-athletes' are supposed to be nice, clean-cut amateurs who are in school for a great education and are playing the game to have fun, to blow off some steam after classes, and to bring glory to their school. They're not supposed to even think of the all mighty dollar. That's for the coach, and his hundred-thousand dollar shoe contract, and the school and their millions, to think about.

And if the NCAA truly wants this ideal, then the players should be able to choose whatever school they want to attend and wear whatever sneaker they want to.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To semi-quote Maury Povich: "You Are NOT your father." Seriously - Mike couldn't get a crappy Nike school to give his kid a scholarship? And it isn't like a Jordan should need a scholarship. Heck tuition at UCF is less than Michael Jordan has on a back nine.

11. Unfortunately, St. John's had already given their NBA Legacy spot to Anthony Mason, Jr.

Is Florida International a Nike school? Now that would be something......

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Who is a Jordan school, coincidentally.

Draft saved Draft deleted