1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike, adidas and Marcus Jordan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Oct 22, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

They'll come to a compromise.

The compromise being the Jordan kid can wear whatever the hell kind of shoes he wants.

Jordan > Adidas

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doubt it. If the kid wants to play, he'll wear the uniform. Or Nike will pony up more money than Adidas.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe he can just drape a flag over his feet.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How good is Marcus?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's playing for a bottom rung team in a mid major conference. Is UCF a top 50 program?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The uniform isn't the issue. He'll wear adidas just like everybody else on the team. This is only about the shoes.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If no one brought this to anyone’s attention, what is the likelihood that anyone would have noticed or even given a shit about the shoes that the mediocre basketball player, Marcus Jordan, was wearing?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I caught that.

That was a disgusting act, all those years ago, the way those asshats used the flag as a prop to shield their various corporate interests.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

If Marcus had signed with the team I cover, I think one of the first things I'd have wondered about was whether the team, of it wasn't already hooked up with Nike, would start wearing Air Jordans.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jordan's shoe issue is exactly what I've said on here several times before. It's about time the players start benefiting from the schools' shoe contracts (beyond the free apparel).

If Jordan wants to pay (or have his dad pay) for his own equipment, let him. Just because a school has a contract with a sponsor doesn't mean that the players should have to obey that contract, too. Granted, they probably have to sign something saying that they'll obey the school's rules (which includes shilling for the sponsor).

But it's about time that a player has the resources and the guts to tell the school and the NCAA to take their one-sided rules and shove it.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The kid doesn't have to wear the shoes. That's a personal preference. As far as the uniform goes, unless he's under contract with Nike, he'll wear what everyone else is wearing.

Draft saved Draft deleted