1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cowboy2001, Sep 28, 2009.

1. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

Here's the teaser trailer .... not sure what to think yet.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Epic fail unless Wes Craven and Robert Englund are attached. Probably fail even then. A New Nightmare was a nice, subversive place where the franchise should have ended.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I never got into the original Freddy flicks. Can't imagine a remake is going to change my opinion of the franchise.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree with Dooley. Less than zero interest in this (other than posting here about how much it'll suck, of course :D). And New Nightmare would have been an awesome way to end it, and I still consider it the finale...I think of Freddy vs. Jason as some kind of unavoidable cosmic train wreck.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Have yet to see the Friday the 13th remake, and I doubt I'll see this one.

OTOH, I've watched all the Freddy movies at least five times in my life (not counting Freddy vs. Jason; only sat through that once with an ex of mine) and love the series.

But, without Craven and Englund attached to this, I fear it'll suck from here to high heaven.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm surprised the WizardofGore didn't start this thread.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I like the idea of seeing Krugar tormented by the parents and, if taken in the right direction, this could be an epic movie. But, because American horror watchers are (by and large) idiots, this movie will cater to the "Who needs a plot, let's hack some motherf***ers up" line of thinking and be a big waste of time.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not indy enough.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No love for Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy? At the very least, that's an inspired bit of casting.

The biggest hurdle I think they face is that, unlike reboots of Friday the 13, Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which all featured "faceless" killers), Robert Englund is so well identified as Freddy, that it may be difficult to swallow someone else in the role.

Then again, I said that about the Joker. I'm willing to give this one a shot.

10. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Most people aren't going to know a difference as to who the character is being played by. It's not like you'll be able to tell by looking with all the makeup involved. It's just a matter of whether the script writes to the same character.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also like the casting, and the idea of digging deeper into Freddy's story before the parents burned him up. Haley plays creepy characters well, including a registered sex offender in Little Children a few years ago.

I'm not much of a fan of horror films, but this could be decent.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Agree completely. Earl Haley could be really good ... and play Freddy as a true villain, not as a murderous jester.

Draft saved Draft deleted