1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nightline piece on the Mormon Church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Starts tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The 1840s called, it wants its bigotry back. Yeesh.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I saw the ABC News piece. Thought is was well-done.

I actually toured the temple grounds when I visited Salt Lake City a couple of years ago. Being a non-member, wasn't allowed in the actual temple, of course.

In most ways, they are not so different from other religions: They have their teachings and traditions, which they hold sacred and believe set them apart from the unwashed masses. Their moral standards do tend to give them a holier-than-thou type haughtiness that is a turnoff, but that's true of a lot of churches.

In another lifetime, I might have been one of them. Their emphasis on marriage and family make a single guy feel like something of an outsider.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, if you drop money in the collection box, you're golden. :D :D

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Mormons are just a protestant offshoot who happen to believe, among other things, that a teenage treasure hunter in upstate New York was chosen by God to be the new Messiah (first since Christ) and that the promise land is somewhere in Missouri.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I would imagine that most of those who have -- or who are in the slightest degree willing to have-- a positive opinion about the LDS church are quite heartened at the church's steadfast defense of traditional marriage.

I can't imagine there are many people out there who hadn't already made up there mind on the LDS church prior to Prop 8.

7. Markvid,

Just to address your question. Non-LDS members aren't allowed in any of the temples, which is what I would guess you are referring to as far as the "church in SLC". I could not bring someone who isn't LDS inside. That's not how it works. In fact, if I wasn't a member in good standing, I would not be allowed inside, either.

Anyone is welcome at any of the regular church buildings.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And this is somehow harder to believe than God would choose the son of a poor Judean carpenter to be the new Messiah, and born of a virgin?

Look, I'm not LDS (I do have a branch of my family that is, dating back to the 1840s, they went West and my surname is very common in LDS circles, but not elsewhere), nor am interested in getting into a religious war.

But ...

The mainstream LDS Church has its unusual quirks, just as do Baptists, Methodists, etc. As said, its history is far more recent and well documented, but its failings are not that much different than the Catholic/Protestant churches in their formative years, etc., which routinely burned people at the stake, conducted inquisitions, sold indulgences, etc. I expect Christians murdered many more Muslims during the Crusades than died in the Mountain Meadow massacre.

Religions evolve over time. Those who believe, believe. Those who choose not to, don't have to. I expect the LDS church will look far different in 2090 than it does today, just as the Catholic Church or the Episcopalians have changed over time.

Krakauer's book deals, to a large extent, with the lunatic fringes of the LDS church, which have about as much relevance to the mainstream wards you see in virtually every major city in the west as the whacko right-wing extreme Christians do to the First Presbyterian Church of Microville. They're two difference animals altogether.

I have many mainstream LDS friends. They don't glow in the dark, speak in tongues, etc.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm no hypocrite. I don't believe the other story either. But you gotta admit Missouri being the promise land is pretty rich!

10. I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

"Dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb"

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted