1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Niggas In Paris

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Someone's been listening to "The Takeover": "That's a one hot album every 10 year average."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Joke.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

1. Reasonable Doubt
    2. The Black Album
    3. Blueprint
    4. Watch The Throne
    5. American Gangster
    6. Vol. 2
    7. Blueprint 3
    8. Blueprint 2
    9. Vol. 3
    10. Vol. 1
    11. Kingdom Come.

Vol. 1 was too radio friendly. Puffy fucked that one up. Vol. 3 didn't do anything for me. I love Blueprint 3, I thought it was, and is, a very good album. Blueprint 2 is the same as every other double album ever made, had it been one CD, it would be classic.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Imaginary Player," "Streets Is Watching," "Rap Game/Crack Game" and "Where I'm From" are some of the best album tracks Jay's made. The singles and club tracks on In My Lifetime, Vol. 1, specifically "Sunshine" and "I Know What Girls Like," weren't good, but those album tracks made up for it.

I don't know how you can make a crack about "radio friendly" and have Vol. 2 ... Hard Knock Life so high on your list. Every track (but "Ride or Die") on that album had a guest appearance. Every track was meant for radio play.

5. Bodie_Broadus

I love Coming of Age, A Week Ago, Ghetto Anthem, three of my favorite Jay songs.

I know better than to argue music on here, it never gets anywhere.

That said, Coming of Age Da Sequel is one of my favorite Jay tracks. The story he tells is so great and I really like Bleek. The beat is insane also.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"A Week Ago" is my favorite song on Vol. 2 ... Hard Knock Life. It's not even close. I can't stand "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)," but I get it. And I totally can understand why someone would think 2 was better than 1 or 3. I was just surprised to see you say 1 was too radio-friendly. 2 clearly got more radio play than 1, and its music, while a step away from some of the Bad Boy sound, was more glossed up overall.

I think 1 and 3 had very similar vibes. The production was overdone, but the lyrics were some of Jay-Z's finest.

One of my biggest issues with 2 is that I prefer 1990s Jay-Z on solo tracks, with the exception of "Brooklyn's Finest." I don't think he really got comfortable sharing the mic until The Blueprint2: The Gift & the Curse. His charisma is such an essential part of his ability that sharing a track makes it more difficult for him to develop that swagger.

7. Bodie_Broadus

He did a track with Scarface, "This Can't Be Life", that is just something else. I wasn't a huge fan of Vol. 3, but it grows on me more and more (I have a playlist in iTunes that is nothing but Jay, it has probably 200 songs). The Black Album is slowly creeping up on my list. I love every song on it, but Reasonable Doubt has "Brooklyn's Finest" and "Can't Knock The Hustle", which are two of my favorites.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm working on a song called 'Crackas in Bangalore.'

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why not "Buck in Bangalore" ?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm trying too create a larger context.
    And believe it or not, I'm not the only one here. i've spotted about a dozen of us.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did anyone see the Terrell Suggs-Kenny Mayne piece on SportsCenter yesterday?

As with most of the pieces Mayne does, I felt sorry for anybody who had to do with it.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I didn't, and I can already guess that the phrase "That shit cra" was involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted