1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nigerian money scam # 365

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 2, 2006.

1. JR

JR Active Member

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Greed and stupidity: a dangerous combination. I'm amazed to see this scam and its variants still working after all of the publicity (much like the Dateline "To Catch a Predator" specials). When will people learn?
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Scoff all you want. They are about to send my check for millions any day now.
  4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'm off to get a money order right now.
  5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't think falling prey to this one goes reaches the same level of stupidity as falling for the e-mail scams. these con men are obviously good. and as the cop says, they string you along for weeks, slowly building up your faith in them. sure, the people who lose out are suckers but this isn't exactly 'i have a bridge to sell you' stuff.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

Leo, you're right but you know the old saw, "If it sounds too good to be true....."
  7. Gold

Gold Active Member

The internet scams are fishing and they don't work on 999 out of 1,000 people.

But the 1,000th person:

.... might have been somebody who had someone close to them die..
    .... might have lost their job and are desperate
    ..... might have just gotten divorced or broken up with somebody...

I don't think it's a mere matter of greed, I think it's more a matter of people being in a vulnerable spot.
Draft saved Draft deleted