1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nieman Labs on "Sports Leagues as Media Moguls"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wendy Parker, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Wendy Parker

Wendy Parker New Member

Here's the first a four-part series on how sports journalism is being affected by the ability of sports leagues, athletes, etc., to create their own content:

http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/06/sports-leagues-as-media-moguls-what-happens-when-the-people-we-cover-start-to-control-the-news/

"Journalists on many beats are just beginning to wade through these issues. Luckily, sports journalists have the battle scars and war stories to help the rest of us navigate through this digital warfare."

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When a team is going badly, any fan who cares knows he won't get the real story from the team website.

Seriously, how different is this from the propaganda that teams used to put on their broadcasts when they had full control of the content and the announcers? The delivery system has changed.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

who cares. it doesn't affect national security.

the fight to control sports content is a fight to control fluff.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Then why are we even here?

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Because everyone needs a fluffer.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's not just the leagues, however, it is the players. Athletes are using Twitter (many) and blogs (Donovan McNabb, off the top of my head) to post news, opinion, etc.

I also disagree, slightly, with your comment. I don't think every fan feels that way. Some probably don't care, others take what they read from several sources.

That all being said, I think NFL Network and MLB Network both do pretty credible jobs, Deion Sanders and a host of "only baseball players can comment on baseball" former MLB players.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Most athlete's blogs start with, "Sorry I haven't updated in the last three months." They don't have the time or the inclination.

I'm really not seeing Twitter as viable competition for actual coverage.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, I don't know about "competition." -- but go to Hoopshype.com, which aggregates daily links to NBA coverage. There are a growing number of links to Twitter.com.

Athletes use this more and more, and I'm seeing Twitter quoted in stories more and more. It's bizarre to me.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

And once again I will warn that before you quote Twitter, you'd better be damned sure the person tweeting really is who you think it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted