1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nicknames submitted in youth sports copy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sometimes I swear these people are putting the nicknames in the story just to test me and see if I'll really delete them.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Part that drives me nuts is when people say, "Well, everyone knows them by that nickname."

Me: "Who's everyone?"

Reader: "Their Auntie Em and Uncle Bumfuck."

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He was pinned at 35 seconds of the second period by Mr. Deltoid.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I once got a complaint from a parent because I ran his son's name as T.J. instead of TJ (no periods). When I asked him if it was TJ on the kid's birth certificate and the answer was "no," that sealed the deal.

Parents. Ugh.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's a hoot.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Back in the day at my first gig, we got Little League results and we were always cutting nicknames out. Dad the coach says everybody knows him by his nickname. I tell him that when his kid makes the majors, he can be called Chipper in my newspaper. For now, Larry Jones had two hits.
    I wonder what ever happened to that kid?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Print is different than speech. People don't tend to think of that when making up nicknames, whether for teams or individuals. "Yo, Big Dick, what's up, dog?" just doens't have the same feel on the printed page.

Years ago,was doing results on an intramural league which included a team named the -- dare I say it here -- "horny bitches". After a long conversation, we decided to refer to them as H.B.'s.

The worst was taking agate dictation on a 3-on-3 summer basketball tournament. Got nearly every darn name spelled wrong. Obviously, the person calling in scores was pretty clueless. Some parent raised hell over it. I responded "I can only report the information I was given". From that day forward, no more phone dictation on that bullshit. If you want it in the paper, fax it or email it to me.

8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Years ago, I had rec league results submitted with a team called the "Philly Fuckers."

Seriously.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't tell me, you referred to them as the philly phuckers, right?

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Well, I definitely thought about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted