1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nicknames submitted in youth sports copy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

At least if you get Tommy "The Human Turd" Thomas in a writeup, you can delete the nickname. Beats "Brianna scored three goals and Kaitlin was fantastic on defense and Jessica only allowed 19 goals"

And what were those last names?

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

My name is Richard Johnson. When I was little they called me Big Dick. I wish they still called me that.

3. Pillman

Pillman New Member

In our area there is a a big guy who's a senior and plays basketball...his real name is Ron but he's been called "Tank" Johnson since 6th grade cause he was like 6'0 and 240 as a 6th grader..too bad he's still 6'0, 250 as a senior....He's called Tank in the newspaper on the radio, even in class, teachers call him Tank.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The star player on my HS hoops team was Devon "Boo" Battle...can't recall how the local paper referred to him. We all called him "Boo," though.

5. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Our SE let in nicknames slip in until Megan "Porky" Smith got in for getting a shutout in minor hockey. After a meeting with Porky's parents there was a new policy: no nicknames ever.
    Porky's parents were not thrilled that the coach was calling their 10-year-old daughter Porky.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago, there was a girl on a swim team who had a nickname like that, though I can't remember what it was. Of all the sports to give a girl a nickname like that...
    Also, I wonder with the first names only or first names and initials only thing, if that's out of some desire to protect the kids from degenerates or something like that.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Tip: Avoid using the nickname "Stinky" in print for a 9-year-old.

In his high school days, we only referred to LeSean McCoy as "Shady" in features and quotes. The print use became much more prevalent when he went to college, even though everyone knew him as "Shady" since he was a kid.

8. KP

KP Active Member

There's a weekly guy in my neck of Podunk that goes out of his way to give the kids nicknames. Even uses a nickname for the baseball coach.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

An assistant basketball coach here goes by Boo. We sometimes refer to him as Boo because that's what everyone knows him as.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Local legion team is Post 2; one writer calls them the deuce in print.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

We had a high school wrestler who was known in the submitted stuff as "Triceps." Whether it made the paper demanded on who was laying it out that night.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted