1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nicknames submitted in youth sports copy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For anyone whose paper publishes submitted youth sports copy, do you have a policy on whether or not to publish the nicknames the writers give the kids?
    We don't allow it and will delete any nicknames in any youth copy. I tend to think the kids don't get as big a kick out of it as the parents do. That and one person's complementary nickname could be another person's insult.
    Are we taking the fun out of it by deleting nicknames like Jack "The Hammer" Mehoff and Heywood "Crazy Legs" Jablome and things like that? I guess part of the fun of this stuff is making the kids seem heroic, like their favorite NFL or MLB players.
    Also, what are some of the more memorable nicknames you've seen? There was once a youth hockey goalie in one of my towns whose first name was Storm and his nickname was "The Perfect" Storm.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Chris Berman will love this ... nobody else will.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Why is this even a question? Delete them, of course. Your paper isn't ESPN The Paper.

I was thinking until I opened it that this was a question about the nicknames of the teams. The middle school here in Podunkville has only intramural athletics. The sixth-grade girls' teams and the football teams tend to have typical nicknames.

Seventh- and eighth-grade teams, apparently, are allowed to have more "fun" with their nicknames, resulting in a seventh-grade volleyball team this year that it called itself "Smack That."

uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, there was an in-town high school-aged girls basketball league around here that had teams called "The Tossed Salads" and "We Make it Rain."

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Our policy is to only use nicknames if the person is a public figure, and the nickname is what most people refer to he/she as. We have a coach who is a "junior" and that's what people refer to him as his first name. That's acceptable. Calling Chris Wells, "Beanie" is acceptable. He's someone the general public is familiar with, and Beanie is what almost everyone calls him.

There is no 10-year-old public figure, so bye-bye nickname.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Bowling leagues were the worst but the alley here closed down two years ago. There was one league where two or three of the teams had names that were too obscene to print and I told the owners I wasn't going to. The week after I said that, those teams became "Team 3," "Team 6," and "Team 11."

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A local bowler goes by Lil Mo Morrison in league results.

In our paper, it's Mo Morrison or the guy gets left out.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The Bumfuck Junior High School Smack Dat. Awesome!

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Best intramural basketball team nickname: Ball Laimbeer.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No nicknames, and you're right -- it's more for the parents than the kids. The fun is in playing the game, and getting in the paper is gravy.

No nicknames in photo cutlines, either. First and last name for everyone in the shot or it doesn't run.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

First and last names, no initial names like T. Jones, and no nicknames unless it's commonly know (like Junior or T.J.). Period.

If they don't like it they can become a blogger and put Cornhead Smith's soccer results in multicolored headlines until hell freezes over. But it won't appear in our paper.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

somewhere, he hate me weeps

Draft saved Draft deleted