1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nick Saban: For the love of God, SHUT THE F___ UP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

JD: "Nick, people are telling me you read my last column as a personal attack."
    Saban: "Well, about 100 people called our house and saw it the same way."
    JD: "It was a professional criticism, not a personal one."
    Saban: "Well, my family thought you were making fun of the way I talk when you kept saying 'aiight' all through the article."
    JD: "I was just speaking to you the way you speak to us. You can't accuse the media of trying to ruin or sabotage your season and expect to not be criticized. But if you took it personally, I apologize for not making it clear it wasn't personal. You attacked our integrity as journalists by saying we wanted to ruin your season."
    Saban: "After everything I've done for this community, I didn't deserve that shit, Johnny. But if I offended you, I apologize."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I changed my mind.

I want Saban to keep spouting shit. Because if he'd shut up, then we wouldn't have Starman posts like this. :D

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought about that yet, but that should be fun.

Seeing the fans fighting for turns to blow him in the lobby of the Wynfrey won't be much fun, though.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Aaaah... nothing like generalizing, stereotying and branding everyone by the actions of some. Do you do the same thing with people of different races, ethnicity and sexual preference, or are you just a selective bigot?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

From the trivia section of his wikipedia page:

* Saban is known for being a complete asshole to pretty much everybody.

6. I myself would welcome Mr. Mizzou to come down south and show us ignorant yokels how to properly cover a team. Does he do workshops? And if so, Sundays are no good for me. That's cousin-fuckin' time!

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I didn't do it, but I am certainly not surprised somebody did. :D :D

8. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

It was all the female Bama fans that went gaga over Shula in the lobby of the Wynfrey. I don't know that Saban commands THAT kind of reaction, but then, there is drunk Collette.

9. sartrean

sartrean Member

Not an attempt at being a Southern apologist or anything, I actually find the folks here to be pretty freaking wacko. But for nonsoutherners to completely understand, football (especially college football) permeates every facet of Southern life for at least six months of the year.

It is so intertwined with Southern life that it's completely unavoidable for most. Maybe in the big cities one may be oblivious to football, if they're on the fringes of society.

It's at work, almost year round, and at almost every profession. It's a primary social force at wage-level employment, which is the type of work most Southerners do.

And football is well intertwined within the Calvinist, Great Awakening kind of lineage that is most Southern denominations, from COGIC to the Southern Baptists, to the Pentacostals and other Holiness faiths.

With religion and a particular sport so tightly connected, woven into the fabric of Southern being and existence, the two become indistiguishable.

So the point is, Southerners totally worship both Jesus and football. It's not that there's too little to do, it's just that it would be "sinful" (an aberration) to do anything else.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sartean, that's a great perspective. They're still fucking nuts and still way over the edge.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And that's why non-Southerners laugh their ass off at the total lack of perspective. And why Mizzou's digs give me a guilty pleasure grin every time.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

starman is right, but this issue isn't that complicated. saban could've had the exact same career path and we'd all think he was a cool guy if he'd stop compounding his bullshit with more bullshit. the shit about 'it's not a lie unless you intend to deceive' is something saban wouldn't even allow his own daughter to use.

btw no lawyer in their right mind would approve a contract unconditionally guaranteeing the money. it would most likely guarantee the money even if he's fired. maybe, possibly he'd still get paid even if he's fired for cause (ie. an NCAA violation or something crazy like a DUI charge or a mike price/tim floyd thing) but that's doubtful. if he left of his own volition it obviously wouldn't pay him the money. so probably the deal just doesn't have a buyout.

Draft saved Draft deleted