1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice work, NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, May 3, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm just waiting for Wonder Woman and Aquaman to weigh in.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Obviously I am not gonna post every story, but this is the top story on the Washington Post website.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/03/AR2008050301707.html

Also, there was another horse that broke down during a big race Saturday?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not bad by Jenkins. Though how she thought NBC should have covered the race is just unrealistic, imo. I still say the network didn't "shy away" from the story, in the timeframe it was working with, but it wasn't going to put Big Brown on the backburner either. This could be a Triple Crown story, and a network with a financial interest isn't going to turn a blind eye.

If an NFL player goes out with a concussion in a game, the commentators aren't going to go on about the rash of concussions in football recently and whether the league isn't protecting its players.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm clicking on all links cautiously. I'm not ready to see that picture that has been discussed.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I went to a family function and all anyone (there were maybe 20 of us there) asked about was Eight Belles. That's the story.

As for NBC, I posted on the Derby thread and I stand by it: I thought it was out of line to report the death of the horse ... then go right into celebration by the Big Brown group. Yes, they won the Derby. But cut to a two-minute commercial first. The runner-up died. Two years after the Barbaro tragedy. And NBC's "reporting" was fine, showing the ambulance, getting the news. But its tact was out of bounds and did not convey the severity of the situation.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Do you still have access to AP Exchange? Click on the Eight Belles story and go to photos (on the right). It's the third one down.

7. Moderator1

Uh, no thanks. Not yet.

8. Moderator1

I just went to WashingtonPost.com to read about the Nats. The pic is right there on the front page.
    Good lord.

9. So jokes about a poor, dead animal is your way of fighting the system? That's about the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. I don't care how inhumane you feel the sport is, cracking wise at the expense a harmless creature who broke both her goddamn front ankles and had to be put down is about the lowest form of humanity. I've covered a horse race when an animal has had to be euthanized. Seeing that up close is a devastating experience even for an objective observer. But I'm sure you would have been there, fist in the air a-la Tommie Smith, screaming "Fight the power!" What a lowlife.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i thought NBC was slow to react to the eight belles story. I wasn't watching very closely, but didn't one of the riders get bucked before entering the starting gate, and didn't the winning jockey get bucked off after the race? I didn't see a replay of either.
    and, they had a reporter on a horse on the track who didn't appear to try to get down to eight belles in the moments after the race ended.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's because she was right in the middle of a live interview with the winning jockey when Eight Belles went down. Even if she had seen it (and I don't think she did, because they were way off to the side and facing the stands anyway) what was she supposed to do?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Aquaman only bets on the Dolphins. Poor bastard had to sell his house last season.

Draft saved Draft deleted