1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice work, NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, May 3, 2008.

1. It's hardly a contradiction to laugh at something sad. I remember reading an interview with the editor of the Onion years back, in which said a lot of the stuff they did was so funny because it's true - and sad. His quote was something like, if I weren't laughing at this I'd be crying.

In short, I'm afflicted with jaded, gallows humor.

I didn't call it a bloodsport, but for every publicly murdered euthanized horse there are thousands more being abused, be it injected with steroids, beaten, killed for insurance or just forced to do something they don't want to do.

I'm hardly an activist, but I am mindful not to contribute money to it.

2. I'm not pissed at you. And I'm the last guy to follow people around on the board. I was just noting the evident hypocrisy.

Speaking of, I guess it's ok for you to repeat stuff said in pms but not anyone else ...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Of what, placing a legal bet (and winning a lot of money on a favorite, I might add)?
    It would be hypocrisy if I called for the end of horse racing and then did it. Never called for the end.
    I saw a guy die on a basketball court. Bugged me for ages. Still love basketball.
    Saw a guy get seriously fucked up playing football. Bugged me for ages. Still love football.

4. Berate someone for making a joke because oh, you care about horses so much, yet you're betting on it.

5. Moderator1

So if you bet on them, you don't care about them? Square that one Einstein.

6. You're encouraging the sport. Meanwhile, square my point about you repeating pms on the big board when no one else is allowed to.

7. Moderator1

I didn't post a PM. And, yeah, I LOVE the sport. I've made that clear many many many times before today.
    Doesn't mean it doesn't bother me a lot when one dies.

8. Moderator1

Write-brained: I'm going to say this very slowly and clearly - grow up or get the fuck out of here. I'm not in a mood to put up with your bullshit tonight (or any night). Do not make another post on this thread.

9. Moderator1

Sorry, guys, Write-brained can't behave.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Jesus Christ, WB, why the pissing match on a decent thread?

11. Moderator1

Opening it up because it is a good discussion and I don't like it being locked. And I hate to be this way, but after his last shot at me - if Write-brained shows up on this one I will lock it again. His anger toward me is ruining a good thread.
    Now let's stay on topic - me, you, everyone else!!

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Here we go with the commentary on the Louisville Courier page.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080503/SPORTS08/80503027

The web site has a picture of all the horses finishing, and two stories on the top right -- the winner and the filly, with a slightly smaller head. Both stories are, of course, fairly short.

Draft saved Draft deleted