1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice work, NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, May 3, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah, i think you leading with eight belles is the right choice, imo.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what Drudge Report is leading with? Because I really care.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Frankly, I think NBC did OK. They showed the ambulances on the track (and when you couldn't see the horse because it was surrounded, that spoke volumes), and they had the prompt report from the on-track doctor. Tom Hammond mentioned the death several times in his recaps. Clearly, Eight Belles' owner and trainer didn't want to be on-camera in the immediate moments afterward, so without that what else could NBC do? Sure, I wasn't in a great mood to listen to the jubilant members of Big Brown's camp, but you can't just ignore them and what the winning horse did, especially after you've pretty much said everything you can say at that time.

I would expect newspaper coverage tomorrow to be pretty balanced between Big Brown and Eight Belles; but what a live broadcast team can do is different.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Suggested headline: "Big Brown beats dead horse"

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Awesome.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Someone beat me to it. Oh well.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Doc, I'm just going to assume you forgot the blue font. See my post on the Sports and News thread for my feelings on this. It isn't awesome.

Anyway, I've been thinking. For newspaper types, you need a Triumph and Tragedy type of head. Your lead covers both up high and then hits the race hard. You have a full sidebar about the death, the whys, the history, etc.

Don't kill this, it is off the top of my head, but something like:

With power reminiscent of (some horse), Big Brown dominated the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby yesterday.

But the mood at Churchill Downs turned somber just seconds after the colt's five-length victory. Eight Belles, the filly who finished second, broke bones in both front ankles and had to be euthanized on the track.

"the quick quote" from the vet about no other option, we couldn't save her.

Details of how Big Brown took lead, how Eight Belles got into second.

"your best sum it all up quote, hopefully from Big Brown camp."

Back to the race. And sidebar also played above the fold.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Absolutely, Moddy. I just don't believe in the blue font.

9. Moderator1

Good. I was doing some re-evaluating of you for a second there but I had faith that was indeed the case. You are a better man than that.
    I don't know why I can be as crass as the next guy with gallows humor but get a million kinds of pissed about animals - maybe because as IJAG said on another thread, they aren't choosing to do this. I don't suspect anyone meant any kind of harm but it is an issue with me.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You aren't alone. I'd probably find it easier to kill a human being than a docile animal such as a dog or horse. Not that I'd do either, of course.

11. Moderator1

My mother told me once: You seem to care more about dogs than people, and I guess that should be considered a good thing.

She's right and I think so.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Unfortunate error by the AP. Their original jubiliation pix of Desormeaux/Big Brown was I.D'ed as Eight Belles and Gabriel Saez winning the Derby.

A correction moved in short order.

I'm not a huge fan of the Eight Belles lead ...

"Boy, did Eight Belles hang with the boys."

Draft saved Draft deleted