1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice work, NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, May 3, 2008.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The way Big Brown came from ll the way on the outside, first since 1920 something I believe from the 20 post, is the story.

But Eight Belles is a big story as well.

Horses dying during a race happens way more often than what Big Brown did.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. [/lombardi]

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How often has one of the money finishers fallen at the sport's biggest race?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two years ago? Barbaro? I know he didn't finish in the money at the Preakness, but after winning the Derby he was the biggest thing going in horse racing. I'd say that and Eight Belles are comparable.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

No Barbara was a much bigger story.

Eight Belles is a big story, it's just not THE story.

6. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

ESPN and other mainstreams are giving the overwhelming majority of the spotlight and coverage to Big Brown, not "some filly" dying.

Drudge Report is leading with the death.

Us newspapers will have two good stories from AP -- a main bar from the race, leading with Big Brown, and a full sidebar on Eight Belles. ... It'll be up to us to choose the main story, the main photo and the tone of the package.

Love to see somebody step up and make Big Brown the side story.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God help me...
    How long will I be employed if I run the headline "Big Brown beats dead horse"?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like AP's main story is focusing on Eight Belles.

9. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

And our main art will be Eight Belles. Heartbreaking shot of her looking right back at the camera while laying on the ground.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the one horse race all year non-sports fans watch. I was at a Derby party. One in 20 guests knew that horses dying on the track is not that unusual. You have to lead with Eight Belles. Have to.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The racing trade publications and those who cover horse racing as their main gig will do their best to gloss over the death. This is what makes Forde so good. He likes the game and all, but he's a generalist who has frequently shown the wherewithal to expose the industry's underbelly. Specifically, that entails the inhuman and inhumane toll it takes on its participants -- both human and equine. His series on jockeys last year or the year before was great.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

SI.com: "Triumph and Tragedy"

I'd say that's the right note to strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted