1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice tribute, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trouser_Buddah, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm reading this story about the tragic death of a kid who had been openly gay in high school while a three-sport star.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/070130

LZ Granderson interviews his boyfriend, Shawn Cody Mariscal, who was driving the truck at the time it fell 120 feet into a ravine. The question that jumped into my head was how this guy survived.

So I do a search and came up with this story:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_H_twodead23.242aa99.html

This nugget is placed at the end:

"Mariscal, who suffered lacerations to his hand, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence, the report said."

This was not mentioned in the story by Granderson. Am I the only one who thinks it's a big piece of information to leave out?

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Well, maybe it was just suspicion, nothing came of it, and LZ didn't want to bring it up if it wasn't proven.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

Actually, it's still not proven if he has only been arrested.

Can't write that he's under suspicion, and I admit I haven't read the story, but the police could have given you a good indication of what might be pending and in that case, i would have held off on the story

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Congrats on No. 1,000. :)

5. I agree something should have been mentioned about the arrest... especially when the sixth graph has that the community is wondering WHY it happened ... it would also let the bigots know that it probably had more to do with alcohol than "because God hates heretics."

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

You're right. That IS queer.

Draft saved Draft deleted