1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice piece on Chuck Noll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Under Noll in 1991, the Steelers ranked 22nd in total defense (26th pass, 11th rush)
    Under Cowher in 1992, the Steelers ranked 2nd in total defense (8th pass, 17th rush)

Under Noll in 1991, the Steelers ranked 17th in total offense (18th pass, 17th rush)
    Under Cowher in 1992, the Steelers ranked 15th in total offense (21st pass, 4th rush)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1992/
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1991/

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Right... others did beforehand.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was just fucking around with the Wilder mention, though he played for one of the worst teams in NFL history...so any production was impressive.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

After that many touches in one season, being able to walk when it was over was impressive.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's what I figured.

I'm not going to trifle with an imbecile who means only to incite.

Back to the outfield you go, Timmy Lupus.

It was fun. Well, no it wasn't, but you know.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Noll piece failed to even mention once probably the most critical experience to inform his days as Steeler coach -- his playing days as a messenger guard for Paul Brown.

Otherwise, a fab-u-lous piece.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not that he belongs on that particular Mount Rushmore of coaches, but . . . Tom Flores won two with no losses, same as Lombardi and Johnson.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh for the love of piss, I am so sick of you Raiders fans jacking every thread to brag about your Committment To Excellence.

Why don't you just post the pics of the Lombardi Trophies too and be done with it?

:D

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

(It must be an old photo. The massive layer of dust that has gathered on them is not visible)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you have a complete stranger to behead, Piotr?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It looks like the new-ish Raiders helmet was CGI'd/Photoshop'd into that pix.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right. He is a coach who has a legitimate gripe about being overlooked. Even though his Seattle numbers are awful, he did beat two very good coaches in the Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted