1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice error, AP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 31, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

From an article about a Web site that tells people when it's a good time to go the bathroom while at a movie:
    The mid-movie dash to the restroom can turn us into calculating Hussein Bolt wannabes: Ah, this looks like a lull -- time to dash.
    Hussein?
    Shame on the writer for not looking up the name of the Olympic champion and more shame on the editors for letting it through.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

TAKE IT TO THE POLITICS BOARD!

Just kidding. :)

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

While we're at it, the guy covering swimming in Rome -- Paul Newberry -- is pathetic. On Wednesday, it took me an hour to produce a coherent 20-inch story from his drivel. He mentioned three world records being broken. Never wrote the time of the record nor the time of the old record. I had to go to the agate to find them and add them to the story.
    And he's yucking it up too much: For those of you who have lost track, that's 29 -- yes, 29 -- world records at this meet.
    The people he thinks he's writing down to aren't going to read about swimming anyway.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Newberry is normally fantastic. And he's great people, in my experience.

That's all I got.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Never met him, never had an opinion on his work until this week.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He was the longtime top guy in the Atlanta bureau, until he got bumped up to national a few years back.

Not so sure that one non-Olympic-year swimming story is enough to form an opinion, just sayin'. ;)

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

just remember to use "new record" as much as possible in your stories.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Not just one story, it has been the same crap all week, but I'm done bagging on him.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It is all a bit much (one 1,000-word story per day?), but I appreciate his enthusiasm and would rather have that than someone just cranking out vanilla copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted