1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Niagra" Falls? Slowly I turned ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by friend of the friendless, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The wiki description of the routine is drier than yesterday's turkey, though.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr R,

Yup, saw them at the Ex, like every other elbow-spinning Curly addict (we're all now over 50), thousands of hearts broken that we got the lesser replacement, Curly Joe. Moe gave us the warning: "Kid what ever you do, don't poke your friends in the eye ... like this." And then gives it to Larry with 100-decibel doink sound effect echoing around the Grandstand. Ah, good times.

YHS, etc

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Friend, I'm disappointed in you. You aren't making Three Stooges history here very clear, and there are young people who might be misled. ):(

Curly was replaced by Shemp, who was also Moe's brother. Shemp died a couple years later, and he was replaced by Joe Besser. After that, the Three Stooges did movies and Curley Joe (DeRita) joined Moe and Larry.

I live to educate people. ;)

4. friend of the friendless

Mr Gold,

Indeed. Precisely. I was saying the lesser replacement ... Shemp was a level below Curly, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita were several levels below Shemp.

Moe had Moe power in his dotage though. If I had a son, he was going to be Moe Friendless. Sigh.

YHS, etc

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My younger brother was at that "concert" if I remember correctly.

I'll check with him tonight.

6. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

The generations in a nutshell: My Hannah Montana was 65-year-old Moses Horwitz.

YHS, etc

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why, I outta .....

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My dad's side of the family made sure me, my brothers and my cousins watched the Stooges. Despite my young age, it's one of my favorite shows. Malice in the Palace and 3 Little Beers are probably my favorite episodes.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Joe Besser was the worst, with his borderline-queen act.

Curly Joe was OK -- a pale imitation of the original.

10. friend of the friendless

Mr Starman,

I always thought that Besser channelled the Cowardly Lion a little for the quiver in his voice.

Curly Joe had the look but not much more -- Shemp did come in during a crisis and performed like a yeoman ... the under-rated Stooge in my books.

Is there a sporting equivalent to the Stooges where a team has two long-running components and a cycle of four complementary players of ever-diminishing value (from the great to the mundane knock-off):

Your entries:

Moe:
    Larry:
    Curley:
    Shemp:
    Joe Besser:
    Curley Joe:

YHS, etc

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon Curly was way better than Larry.

You anti-bald or something, friendly?