1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Niagara Falls Travel Advise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In September I am going to a business conference in Niagara Falls ( Canada side)

Any worthwhile restaurants?

Thinking of driving to avoid air travel hassles. I have enough of those. Is there much of a delay at the border?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Delay at the border varies by time and day. Rush hours usually, and weekends.

I'm not sure there's a decent standalone restaurant on either the side of the Falls. All the "nice" hotels will have "steakhouses" and "Asian/American fusion" restaurants offering two-star food at five-star prices.

Unless you're entertaining clients, you might be better off driving down into Buffalo and eating at Duff's or Schwabl's.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was there in about 1981. I think it was '81. I was pretty young.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And remember your passport.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For a quicker way to the bottom, use one of these ...

[​IMG]

Results may vary. ;)

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Know nothing of the restaurants. But go to Niagara on the Lake, neat little town, and lots of wineries in the region that have tasting rooms. I would also recommend a drive along the Niagara River Parkway. It's spectacular. And while it its the epitome of touristy things, a ride on the Maid of the Mist is an unforgettable experience.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

If you're crossing by car, you pretty much need a passport or an enhanced driver's license (which I have). You get asked more questions and it takes longer to get through customs.

Of course, before 9/11, all border guards had to do was take your word for it if you're crossing between the U.S. and Canada. Ah, the good old days.

I paid extra for the enhanced license, figuring that I'd go back and forth a few times. I've crossed exactly once in the last three years.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

+1

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Push Margot Kidder back in the river while you're there.

10. Here's another vote for Niagara on the Lake, which is s quaint town half an hour's drive away. Warning -- it's not cheap. If you have free time, hit a couple of wineries for their tastings. In Niagara Falls proper, the Sandstone Grill was suggested by our B&B host, and we liked it a lot. It's located on the north end of town, two blocks up from the river near Planet Hollywood.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

We got engaged here. Stayed at the Embassy Suites Fallsview. They have a really lovely steakhouse there at the hotel. It's sort of a wraparound with floor to ceiling windows and a view of the Falls from the Canadian side. Not sure when the schedule changes but during summer they have fireworks every night I think. We were there in November and they only had it on Friday nights at 9 p.m., which is when my fiance skedded the big question for. Anyway, I'd highly recommend that restaurant. I think it's called The Keg or something like that. There's some good shopping if you walk around in town.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Niagara Falls on the US side is mostly a shithole. Seriously, unless you like dive bars like Duff's with chicken wings, there's no reason to stay there.

Niagara Falls on the Canadian side is turning into Vegas North. If that's your bag, you'll be right at home.

Niagara on the Lake is charming and expensive as hell. The Shaw Festival (surprisingly, a festival devoted to the plays of GB Shaw) is a huge attraction. Lots of Japanese bus tours lined up and down the street.

If you're feeling adventurous, tour some of the wineries in the area. There are a lot of great restaurants within a half hour drive like this place:

http://www.innonthetwenty.com/dining.html

If you cross early in the morning, you may wait 1/2 hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted