1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHRA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Speedway, Sep 8, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Two cars do burnouts and stage. Shirtless hillbillies stand up and give a big "whoooppp!" Tree activates. Green light and cars take off. One makes it to the finish line under power, the other blows up. Trucks spend a half-hour cleaning oil off the track. Shirtless hillibillies head to the beer stand to have yet another cold one (or 12). Tractors drag the track to put fresh rubber down. Repeat scenario about 20 times.

Drag racing? No thanks. A perfect example of how to turn 30 minutes of legitimate on-track action into a 12-hour wasted day.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just had a woman send a bitchy note to us this week asking why we don't run NHRA in our paper. That and her nephew is a crew member on a team and why haven't we done anything about him.
    1) Didn't know we had a local on a team. Thanks for telling us in such a nice way lady! (I have an interview with him next week)
    2) I told her we barely ever have room for national agate outside of MLB/NBA/NFL etc. and the only other time we run agate is with a NASCAR story.
    3) Rarely do I have room to run a complete list of agate for NHRA, usually run the first-led brief that AP sends out.

I looked at the schedule on NHRA.com and noticed this things usually last 4 days! Can a NHRA-know-it-all help me out. The only time I see results is Sunday night.

Also, how many of you actually run NHRA stuff? Where in the heirarchy is this sport (compared to Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Camping Word, ARCA, Silver Crown, etc)
    BTW, we've never had a complaint before this.
    Thanks!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, they're in town four days. Only one day, the last, is actual racing. Lots and lots and lots and lots of qualifying. Eliminations are the key - if you can only get out once, get out the final day. Eliminations day is like a different sport.

NASCAR qualifies for a minute and races for HOURS. NHRA qualifies for DAYS and races for SECONDS

NHRA much easier to cover. Hasn't become "big time" yet, with the resultant hoops jumping.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great sport with great people, but it's a small niche all its own inside motorsports. Behind Sprint Cup pretty much everywhere and probably behind Nationwide and IndyCar too in most markets.

The drags make for great feature stories when they come to town or if you've got a local person involved, but I'd guess most papers don't run the agate every week.

It's never going to be "big time" because it's too unpredictable to be televised live. And the words "TV doesn't do it justice" were invented for drag racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted