1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHRA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Speedway, Sep 8, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like Buck said, it's something you gotta see once. The words "TV doesn't do it justice" might have been invented for NHRA drag racing.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It really is something that's fascinating to see once. Attended the Winternationals when I was in high school. My dad insisted on a spot near the starting line.

Was cleaning small chunks of rubber out of my clothing, lungs and nose for days.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Easily the best part of my job. I cover a few events each year and while couldn't technically be called a regular, but do enough that many of the drivers and team owners recognize me even if they don't know exactly who I am.

I covered my first event in 1996 and have been going ever since. In short, I love it. I never get to go to the U.S. Nationals because of college football commitments, but I stayed glued to the TV on Monday.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Plus you have to have a decoder ring to understand what he's saying. There was a site several years back that was a "What if Wawd had a blog" type thing. Everything was written phonetically the way Wawd would have said it. I'll see if I can find it.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

you don't understand the sport? It's 2 cars......the car that crosses the finish line first wins.

***I pray you meant you don't understand the appeal of the sport.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

maybe.....but he certainly didn't portray that message.

You probably noticed I gave him the benefit of doubt that he actually didn't understand the sport.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The real problem there is translating it from Virginian into English. :D

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've covered a number of events and enjoyed it every time.

NASCAR these days, trying to get a driver: Get in touch with PR, get runaround, get more runaround, don't get driver or get him on a conference call or something or a two-minute walk-and-talk at the track if you can get there.

NHRA, trying to get a driver: Get in touch with PR. "Sure, here's his/her cell number."

NHRA people seem to enjoy having the media around, or at least they act like they do.

I've done stories on Force and both Pedregons. I bet that "donnybrook" was fun to cover.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

NHRA might be a great thing to cover ... I've never had the good fortune to do so.

I just remember going to the U.S. Nationals as a 7-year-old because my aunt was dating one of the drivers in a minor division and being bored out of my mind. I've always enjoyed motorsports, but from that day forward, drag racing really has never done much for me.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But that's not Virginian, that's South Bostonian. You have to go South Boston to Virginia to English, which is tantamount to going from Castilian to Spanish to English. Something's getting lost.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ward Burton sounds like a Geiger counter trying to speak English.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Tony Stewart who once said "we all speak English, except for Ward Burton. He speaks Ward."

Draft saved Draft deleted