1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Winter Classic thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

heard somehwere the Blackhawks are actually leading the league in attendance this year? Can anyone vouche for that?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I wonder if the telethon was hosted by Gary Bettman.

3. That's what I thought, too. But definitely no Pens/Sabres game.

Just checked out on the onscreen guide for New Year's Day and, at least according to it, we'll get the game this year.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I love the commercial for the WC, esp. with Harry Caray leading the crowd in singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game."

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

While I'm sure that was a network or league pushed ad, the Blackhawks have done a great job with commercials this year including their All-star game in-team smear campaign.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Ty Conklin makes his way into a trivia question. Go figure. :D

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Love the idea, but I still think the NHL would be better to place this on a Saturday or Sunday (post NFL) where they could be the story of the day instead of sharing the limelight with college football, at best.

Will try to watch, but the Mrs. has some shopping plans for me around that time: Rooms to Go, maybe Linens - n Things, who knows if we'll have enough time....

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's because John McDonough is a freakin' genius.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He is and I hope the league itself is taking notice.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think they are. I don't know enough about goings-on north of the border to know if The Hockey News list of Top 100 Most Powerful People in Hockey or whatever it's called is an accurate list. But I did note that the two Chicago representatives on that list were McDonough and Scotty Bowman.

I'd like to see someone do a piece on Bowman's coming to the Chicago organization. It's weird to think of him on the Hawks' side after so many years with the Habs, Sabres and Wings. I wish Chicago could have picked him up when he was still coaching, but Bowman would never have signed up to be part of the Bill Wirtz regime. Can you imagine Bowman taking shit from Bob Pulford? Me neither.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Bowman has been a regular on the list for decades. The fact McDonough is already on the list impressive.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it McDonough weren't on the list, it would be totally fraudulent.

McDonough, Wirtz et al have singlehandedly turned this franchise around.

Attendance is up 65% from last year and they QUADRAPULED their season ticket base from 3,500 to 14,000. And I doubt they're doing it with those fire sale prices like Phoenix, Atlanta and Nashville are offering.

The league needs the Hawks to succeed. Making the playoffs this year would be a huge step forward.

Draft saved Draft deleted