1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Winter Classic thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Dec 29, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

After some concerns that balmy weather might delay the game until Jan. 2, looks like the New Year's Day game will be played as scheduled.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-28-winter-classic-blackhawks-wedec2,0,145118.story

No Sidney Crosby in the game this year, but a good matchup. The Hawks have won nine straight and the Wings are at their customary spot atop the Central Division.

Any casual fans or non-fans planning on watching the game? And what do you hardcore hockey journos/fans think about the Winter Classic? A fun way to promote the game? Or a loathsome sideshow?

[​IMG]

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I actually somehow got in to cover the original -- the Heritage Classic in Edmonton vs. Montreal in 2003. Absolutely great spectical, however, obviously the sightlines in a football stadium -- particularly a CFL stadium -- aren't great for hockey. can't imagine them being a whole lot better in a baseball stadium. That being said I was originally against the NHL doing this every year or every few years, but after Buffalo I have flipped on that oppinion. I thought it would get old fast and soon there would be half empty football stadiums, not exactly the image the league needs. But I now think it has staying power for at least a few more years. Once a year on New Year's is actually a great spot for it. It has the chance to grab even the casual sports fan who wouldn't normally watch hockey but is sick of the meaningless bowl games featuring La. Tech and a directional Michigan school. Also this is one time where the game is better viewed on TV than live.

For a league that has problems marketing itself this is actually something they do right -- it grabs positive headlines for the sport where it normally is largely ignored. Hell Football Night in America was even talking about this year's game last night.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think this is one of Bettman's few good moves.

It should be an annual thing, a huge event celebrating hockey in strong markets. I'd definitely watch this game over yet another dull NCAA (fill in the blank)-Bowl.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Viewership should be huge in Michigan without the Wolverines in a bowl game.

State plays Georgia at the same time, so by 1:30 they should be down 21-0.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

By original, you mean the NHL original, right? Cause I'd hate to think people overlooked the 2001 Michigan-Michigan State game that drew nearly 75,000 people in Spartan Stadium...

[​IMG]

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I heard they are thinking of doing another one of these, but in Detroit this time. Like an outdoor GLI type thing.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I do mean the NHL original -- did not mean to step on the toes of the college hockey fans out there. Since we were talking about the NHL version I thought it would flow through.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Boy, if there is one thing that absolutely falls through the cracks here, it is college hockey. And I mean, this is an area with one of the AHL's most solid franchises. But 99.6% of them wouldn't know the Frozen Four from the World Hurling Championships.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hope Ty Conklin starts for Detroit. That would mean he'll have played in all three.

I still think these outdoor games are a bit of a circus act wrapped up in faux nostalgia but this year's hits all the right notes: two Original Six teams, including the Stanley Cup winner, playing in Wrigley Field.

And since Chicago is re-embracing their team, it can only help.

Go Hawks!

10. I'll try to watch.

As the most casual of casual hockey fans...as in, I see how great the sport is in person, but I live three hours from the nearest franchise...I guess I kind of care more about the Blackhawks than any other franchise, not that that means a whole lot. I've been to four NHL games ever and Chicago played in all of them (three when I lived in Chicago for a year and one when I was visiting some friends in Nashville last year).

But back to that try to watch part...I was intrigued enough to look for it last year during all of the college bowl games, but our local NBC affiliate was showing some sort of telethon. Maybe with Chicago (and Detroit for that matter) being a heck of a lot closer than Pittsburg and Buffalo, we'll actually see some hockey from the corner of Clark and Addison.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. That made me laugh.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I am kind of surprised you couldn't get it last year. I thought it was supposed to be a national broadcast, not a hockey regionalized broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted