1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL to KC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, KC has the corporate money in place and already has the downtown arena nearly completed, ready for whoever might move in there. So KC has those two points down. Can't do much about the TV market, though Pittsburgh isn't the strongest for TV either but survives just the same.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I agree with posters who say the other teams left because of grossly incompetent ownership. KC has a huge sports base (take a look at TV numbers and/or sports talk radio numbers) that would love to support a team in the amazing new downtown arena.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It may have a "huge sports base" but its hockey base would probably be 5% of Hamilton's.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think right now, possibly, it wouldn't be as large (5% is a gross over calculation). But KC fans are smart, and if given the chance, could learn and then embrace the game.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

And also, think about the rivalries it would create. KC would play StL, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit...geographically, it'd be ideal.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dallas and Colorado, too.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Don't forget the Wild. Detroit and C-bus might be a bit of a stretch, but STL, Chicago, Dallas, Denver and Minneapolis are all easy to get to from KC, by both car and plane.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I wonder how much say/pull Toronto and Buffalo had at the GM's meeting which may have influenced this decision to sell to someone other than Balsille. It is clear the NHL did not want another team in that market. Also, the compensation issue could have become a headache for the NHL too.

Still, the NHL has some fantasy notion that they will break the US market and have success, but after failed attempts, especially in the television market, why would they go there again ??? ::). If Bruckheimer gets the Vegas franchise, there may be a remote shot of acceptance of hockey in the States, but I am not optimistic about it.

The NHL should realize that it has failed in the States and move on.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Gary Bettman's been working off "if given the chance" for more than a decade, and except for maybe Tampa Bay and Carolina (who, not coincidentally, won Stanley Cups), it hasn't happened. I can't imagine U.S. corporate sponsors are licking their chops over a Nashville-to-KC move. That's a downgrade, because Nashville a faster-growing area and more robust corporate market. Plus, there's no (pro) competition except the Titans. And, KC would get a team that's gutted and practically an expansion team, given how the current owners are dumping players like mad.

Also, in KC, is there any sign the populace is dying for hockey? Certainly, the local leaders are dying for something to fill their taxpayer-financed arena so they don't get hanged for building a white elephant.

As for rivalries, maybe St. Louis becomes one -- because both teams will be so awful, their only chance to win will be against each other -- but you're fooling yourself if you think a rivalry will develop geographically with anyone else not on the coasts. I know it won't happen with Chicago, because no one gives a shit about the Hawks. Columbus-KC? Please.

I hope Jim Balsillie sues the pants off of everyone involved in this boondoggle. No way Nashville's owners get $190 million from the Anschutz guy -- if I were them, I'd crater that price, the way things are going. In fact, if I were Nashville's owners, I'd sue the NHL for not allowing me to sell my franchise to the highest bidder.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bob, I suspect Balsillie will not go away quietly.

He seems like a definite "don't fuck with me" kinda guy.

I doubt Nashville will be snapping up UFA's on July 1.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Instead, he plans to pursue a less lucrative bid from California businessman William (Boots) DelBiaggio.

:eek:

But in all seriousness, the NHL is a joke.

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Like Detroit failed in the 1980s and the Oilers when Pocklington was selling?

Give me a break. The NHL may not be an integral part of most "nontraditional" cities, but it certainly hasn't failed. If financial struggles were a sign of failure, the Sens and Oilers would both be long gone. If poor attendance was a sign of failure, the Hawks and Red Wings would be history.

Balsillie is the only one at fault for his attempt to buy the Preds falling through. He got waaaay ahead of himself in the attempted move (when it's not clear that the Preds really can move) and wouldn't sign a binding agreement at the same time.

I don't think the NHL should move the Preds to KC. I don't think Del Baggio is attempting a purchase for that reason.

From what I've seen in Nashville, the problem is a breakdown in corporate relations and not a "hockey will never work here" issue, and with a new owner, a lot of that should resolve itself.

I think K.C. should have a shot at a team if the NHL ever decides to expand again (I wouldn't, but the league is run by monkeys and might). I think another Canadian franchise should be pretty far down that list though. Beyond K.C. and the arena, Houston and Vegas should both be explored well before Hamilton or K-W.

Draft saved Draft deleted