1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL to KC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 28, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He is a bit of a bull in a chinashop, isn't he?

Just remember this: in less than two days, Hamilton took deposits on over 10,000 season tickets. In two days they've all of a sudden got more potential season ticketholders than Nashville presently has

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, we've got that $500 from the standing contract on Berman... maybe we could use that?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would be worth it just to see how Whitlock covers hockey...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

OUt of curiosity, where did this story appear in the paper? was it front of sports, or was it burried behind the local cricket match?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Kings are trying to extort a new arena out of Sacramento taxpayers, and having no luck so far. If KC wanted to butter the palms of the Maloofs, they could probably get the Kings back.

6. Kansas City Scouts don't count?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Pens the last two years.

Yeah, the Scouts could count. But then you would have to accept that the town that stole the Scouts -- Denver -- before they moved to New Jersey has had a successful franchise since stealing the Nordiques. So who's to say that KC can't have similar success.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Because it's worked so well since going back to Atlanta?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Again, you could point to the Avs as an example of what might happen. Bottom line, we don't know.

10. My brain hurts.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Honestly what concerns me, is that A) they have had and lost an NHL franchise before. B) They have had and lost and NBA franchise before. C) Their historic MLB team can't draw flies. D) The Chiefs appear to be king there, and until January when they are done, will anyone give two shits about a niche sport that 99 per cent of the US can't even find on TV trying to make it for the second time in the city?

At least with Denver, the city is set up to be a much better hockey market than KC with strong roots in NCAA, the season of winter, and a fan basae that is more than willing to support its teams through thick and thin (IIRC even the Rockies still drew real well up until a couple of years ago).

If they move the team to KC, they might as well move the team to New Orleans, Houston, or hell Mexico City. If they are going to keep the team in the states, I'd much rather see the Predators move to a place like Portland or Seattle. Of course the ideal for me would be to move them North of the border to a Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo, unless Quebec city is willing to build a new rink.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You know you're old when a team that started play in 1969 is considered historic.

Draft saved Draft deleted