1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL summer movement thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by soccer dad, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I don't know why Ovechkin was able to come over so easily. I assume he was under contract to his Russian team? Then I can't answer that one.

But maybe the NHL doesn't want to push the envelope because they don't want to jeopardize any and all chances of the RIHF eventually signing the transfer agreement. And plus, Malkin needs the NHL more than the NHL needs Malkin.

And yeah, if I were Malkin, I'd be a little wary of pissing off that team. As Tony Soprano told his sister Janice, "Don't fuck with the Russians."

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ha, the Blues get a goalie thus making Buffalo's options of getting rid of Biron and his salary that much harder...

3. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

ovechkin was a free agent before last season. thats why the capitals were able to get him so (relatively) easily. malkin had two years left on his deal prior to signing this new, one-year offer. dave king -- the former calgary coach -- now coaches malkins russian team. he was on the fan this morning, and said malkin wants to go to the nhl. but, the owners of magnitogorsk are opening a new $40 million building this season and played on malkins loyalty to that team and city for one more year so they can fill it. he said malkin is really torn.

now, there is a loophole that the oilers prospect mikhonov exploited to come over this year. according to russian labour law, you can leave any job -- even with a contract -- by giving two weeks notice. king admitted malkin could still do that and seemed unsure whether or not malkin would be in russia when the season opens in early september.

that said, gonchar told a pittsburgh paper he thinks malkin will stay home this season.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Bruins president Harry Sinden resigns to become advisor to the team owner. Chiarelli will take over duties, according to AP story.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

All that means is Harry doesn't have to go into the office. He won't be far away.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

As was stated three posts above yours, with a link. But thanks D_B. :D

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Blues had a goalie already. Looks like Sanford is getting screwed again. Don't worry, St. Louis, he'll be back to stop the puck for you again once your latest free agent saviour shits the bed like Lalime did last year.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oilers solidify their top six forwards with signing Petr Sykora to a one-year deal. Hope they didn't over spend. They are suddenly one of the deepest teams offensively in the league, possible starting 12 forwards looking like this:

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Sykora-Stoll-Lupol
    Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
    Torres-Pouliot-Winchester

then in the press box you got Shremp, JF Jacques, Brodziak, Peterson, plus it isn't completely ruled out that Mikinov won't still make the trip over from Russia in which case there is an even bigger log jam of top six forwards. In which Case Mact-T will have a very enviable problem on his hands.

Defensively I'm a little concerned still

Smith-Tjarnqvist
    Greene-Staios
    Bergeron-Smid/Hejda/Syvret

I don't think they are sunk defensively. They definitly are not as good as they were last year, but there is certainly the potential for them to be better than they were pre-lockout, and they were pretty decent pre-lockout. I think they'll be middle of the pack defensively. If they can get any kind of goaltending out of Roli and Jussi, they will make the playoffs again, however they will have to avoid their annual December to early February swoon that puts them in a chase position every single year as they scramble to grab the eigth spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted