1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Green doesn't show up during the Playoffs.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This whole year has been a loss for Green. He never got going and hasn't been the same player since the surgery. He's lost his quickness. Wideman's a human turnover machine. I really hope the Caps choose to go another direction in the offseason. Wideman's not a long-term answer, and he's going to want a lot of money.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not Green. Good ol' 55 - they had him as a healthy scratch for much of the season and now he's playing. Orlov seems to have fallen out of favor. The Caps basically have one reliable defensive pair.

Schultz' presence in that lineup boggles my mind. As does Knuble's absence. He wouldn't get knocked off the puck three times.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree with that ... Schultz is big. Not much else. I'd love to see Orlov in for Game 2. I'd rather see Knuble in than Aucoin, for sure. Aucoin had a nice little stretch down the stretch in the regular season, but his lack of size really stands out against a team like Boston.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why has Knuble not been playing much? Wouldn't he be just the kinda guy you want playing in the playoffs?

6. Moderator1

Like swatting a fly.

And Ryan, I have no clue. I agree with you. My son sends me a text last night: WTF? Where is Knuble? And I said, "WTF indeed - do I look like Dale Hunter?"

Makes no sense. Yeah, Knuble is older and maybe not quite as good as he's been. I'd still rather see him out there.

7. JackReacher

Doesn't matter, I suppose. According to a guy I follow on Twitter, people in DC will stop pretending to be hockey fans in a week anyway.

8. Moderator1

Yep. Then we can begin guessing on the ID of the new coach and maybe the GM and which players will be gone. Shame, though. Holtby deserved to win that one and, if he does, who knows what it might do for his confidence?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Holtby was outstanding all night long. And I wasn't trying to pin the loss on him as much as say that he has a tendency to get a little too loose at times. My view of the goal came on my computer screen since I was trying to watch while filing a baseball story, so I didn't have the best view. I thought he came too far out. On the replay, I can see JR's point.

Caps did a lot of things well last night. Would have been great to steal that first game but I saw no indications that the Bruins were just going to run this team off the ice. Control the penalties. Don't go on the PK for six minutes at a time. Create more scoring opportunities. Obviously those are the keys for Saturday.

10. Moderator1

I did love the penalty Holtby took. Get the F out of my crease. I thought the delay was bogus but admit I didn't have a great look. Did not see Beagle's four-minute job so I have no idea. Caps got a PP late but did nothing with it. They did do a whole lot of things well but I never got the feeling they deserved to win. Boston did a lot of things well other than scoring. Just knock those little ants off the puck and don't let them shoot. Make the Russians disappear (which one of them seems to do well enough on his own)

11. JackReacher

You just knew the Bruins were going to score eventually. So many chances, there was no way Holtby was going to hold up for an entire game (including OT). Caps offense blew. They were counting on luck and that's never good. For about 90 percent of that game, Boston just looked like the better team by a wide margin. This might not go 5 games.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Make sure the Washington media grills Thomas about him not showing up at the White House and that should take him off his game ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted