1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL planning outdoor game for next season according to ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 3, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

PR value, for sure, will be high. But if you have a great product, but no one's buying tickets, what does it mean? The league needs to maximize the opportunity to conjure positive public relations and a gate.

But before that, the league needs to be smart about where this game is played. The Sunbelt has to be out for obvious reasons. The league needs the game played between two Original Six teams; the question is where. NY has had mild winters the last two years. Boston wasn't terribly cold. Chicago and Detroit would be interesting, if the Blackhawks didn't suck. Montreal and Toronto would draw fans, just because of the name appeal.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You could do it at Spartan Stadium, like Michigan State did a few years ago, with the Red Wings and whomever.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dumb idea.

It was a two-time unique event: once in Michigan and the "Heritage Classic" in Edmonton.

The NHL is absolutely devoid of marketing ideas.

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Ohio Stadium/Michigan Stadium the Sunday after the Michigan game: CBJs vs. Red Wings.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think it would be difficult to do this in a baseball park, you'd need a football stadium for the best sightlines and such. Since New York's football stadium is located in Jersey, I think that rules out New York -- unless Shea still can be outfitted for football.

If they do it with the Red Wings, my guess is the NHL would use Ford Field with the roof open, just like UK-Michigan State men's hoops a few years ago. Didn't 70,000 people attend that game?

If Ford Field isn't available, then you can always try to get the Big House in Ann Arbor. (Edit: damn, Satchel beat me to it)

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Borrowing Hank Scorpio's logic, Bettman would try to get Neyland Stadium for the Preds-Panthers the day after UT-Fla.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Unfortunately the third Saturday in September isn't during the NHL season.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think the winning combination would be a Detroit and Toronto game played at any of the big three football stadiums in Michigan. First there's the Original Six link, then there are still enough legends around for both teams to ice a similar legends match up if they completely wanted to copy Edmonton, then there you have two of the biggest draws in hockey going at it.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wouldn't NBC want this to be a playoff game, preferably involving the Washington Capitals, played at Pimlico on the third Saturday in May?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The league really has to be smart about picking the teams to play in the proposed game. No offense to the Blue Jackets and their legion of fan, but who really gives a shit about them?

The NHL bends over backward for NBC, sometimes to its detriment. In March, NBC aired a Blue Jackets-Red Wings game as the Game Of The Week. But, on the same day, there was a Maple Leafs-Rangers game, with both teams in playoff contention. What game would draw more viewers? Leafs-Rangers battling for a playoff berth or the Red Wings (who were all-but-guaranteed a playoff berth) and the Blue Jackets (who were all-but-guaranteed a lottery pick)? Which one would you watch?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If this doesn't end up being a NYR-Phi game, I'll be stunned.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ford Field doesn't have a retractable roof.

UK and MSU did play hoops there once and I believe the NCAA hockey finals are coming there in a couple years.

Draft saved Draft deleted