1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL GM's To Review Head Hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/06/04/nhl-gmsmeeting.html

I am not so sure if anything is going to come out of this. One thing for sure, the rules need to be more consistent than they have been.

What do you all think?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Most important thing in that story is the last paragraph:

The GMs also discussed having bigger nets and instituting four-on-four overtime during the playoffs, but neither issue was met with much interest.

Claws' reaction? GOOD.

As for hits to the head, I'm all for keeping guys healthy, but if hits to the head are taken away, doesn't that eliminate fighting? ;D

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Claws, I wondered that too...if you take out hits to the head, does it stop fighting?

Four on four OT will never happen. They need to get rid of the shootout (I hate it ever since Canada lost in the quarterfinals of the Nagano Olympic Games in 1998 to the Czech Republic)

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's sad that four-on-four OT in the playoffs even is being considered. That's just crazy.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I heard bigger nets were to be studied in AHL exhibition games next year.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Bigger Nets? Good. The reduction of the goalie pads only did so much even though it was long past necessary. 4-on-4 playoff OT...not so good. Although after double overtime, I'm willing to try anything.

The NHL should try stuff through the AHL. Throw stuff against the wall, see what sticks. I like the shootout better than a tie. Many of the fans in the arena are almost rooting for the shootout when games go into OT. It's interesting to watch.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think there's still more room to change the goalie pads. I look at photos from the '80s and the pads are still much smaller than the new size in the NHL - which really isn't that much different than the old size once the pads are worked in.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If the rules change, it will be a good thing. Obviously, I'm sure, this wouldn't apply to fighting, just hits and elbows to the head.

But the main thing that will get rid of this problem is if players start respecting each other. Maybe players have so much better equipment/protection now, they have a less chance of getting hurt, so they start throwing their bodies around.

ESPN (and other sports shows) could also be to blame. They ALWAYS show the HUGE hits, much like they show EVERY dunk in basketball.

You still have to finish your check, and there is nothing wrong with good hard checking. But sometimes it's not necessary to make EVERY check DRILLED into the boards. Finish your check, and get back on defense.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The NHL already does try stuff through the AHL.

Bigger nets? Dumbest idea since the trapezoid.

Fact is, folks, goalies are arguably better now than they were 20 years ago.

Go watch some of the ESPN classics--a lot of the goalies wouldn't have made an EHL team today. Out of position, can't skate, relying on their instincts.

Goaltending is all about technique. It's now a science where even an unathletic goalie (Giguere) can rise to the top because of a goalie coach like Francoise Allaire.

Half the drills now--even at the youth level--are about skating since the goalie who can move laterally quickly and efficiently will shut down the best teams--Giguere and Luongo are two of the best at that.

Hell, they micromanage it to the point where they make sure the catching glove isn't five centimetres too low or high.

Add to that the defense first philosophy, the blocking of shots and teams collapsing around their net and no wonder scoring is down.

Make the nets bigger? An affront to the game.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Says SJ's resident goalie (and father of goalies, the poor sap).

Hey, JR? Most hockey fans would rather see a 10-8 shootout than a 1-0 snorefest. Get with the program! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted