1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL beat writer, Calgary Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Flash, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Now this is a cherry beat ...

http://jeffgaulin.com/jobs/JobDetails.asp?id=5176

The Calgary Herald’s Editorial Department has an opening for an energetic, highly competitive and well-rounded sports reporter committed to producing first-rate content for its newspaper, website and other multimedia platforms.

Duties will include, but not be limited to, covering the Calgary Flames and the National Hockey League.

Reporting to the Sports Editor, the ideal candidate will have:

* the ability to maintain the highest standards of journalistic excellence and integrity;
    * a demonstrated aptitude for meeting strict, challenging deadlines, both in print and online;
    * experience covering sports, organizing a beat and developing contacts;
    * a proven track record of breaking exclusives, as well as the ability to write features and compelling reads.

The successful applicant will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic. The Sports Reporter will also need to be a team player who can work closely and effectively with other reporters, columnists and editors.

A passion for alternative story forms and an interest in multimedia is a key requirement of the position. The Sports Reporter will be expected to help shape innovative coverage both in print and online. Experience writing a blog is an asset.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Who had it, and where did they go?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know one person who'd be perfect for the gig ...

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Flash, who is up against you for this job?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I am not interested in the position and, huntsie, I'm still trying to figure out who's leaving.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yes, I would be. My ego aside, this is a job that NHL writers would kill for.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I can tell you one thing, kids ... whoever gets this job has HUGE shoes to fill. I have great respect for both of the incumbents in this position. I worked against Cruck on the major junior beat and with Feebs at the Sun. They're both incredible writers and amazingly passionate and knowledgeable with their work.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Herald has been flooded with resumes from some of the top writers in this country, including a couple or a few that I may know already.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And who wouldn't want to deal with Mike Keenan on a daily basis?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Keenan might be a son-of-a-bitch, but he can generate copy.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I get the idea both he and Sutter would be sons of bitches to deal with, but they must be a LITTLE better if you have to work with them every day...

11. Flash

Flash Guest

I think they're OK as long as you're not trying to do their job for them while you'rei interviewing them.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

If I was ever going to go in for a "normal" journalism job again, this would be the sort of job I would be hard after. I like the idea of the hockey beat above all beats, especially in a city like Calgary.

Draft saved Draft deleted