1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL awards/draft/off-season/training camp/preseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Re: 2007 NHL awards and off-season running thread

According to TSN.ca the Predators are Hamilton bound

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=

can only guess that a new name would be in the works

Hamilton Steelheads anyone?

Still don't think this is a smart move. What's capacity at Copps and is itup to NHL standards or is it in line for a major reno?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Shoalt's column in the Globe throws the dirt around:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070613.wsptpredators13/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

And not everyone's amused:

If you join a club or a fraternity, it is a bunch of people who have to work together in a partnership," the governor said. "Sometimes you have to give up what you want for the greater good of the league. This is not the way to come in [to the NHL].

"In my travels, I've already had people, unasked, say, 'Who is this clown?' I've had three clubs mention this to me."

I think capacity at Copps is around 17,000. Biggest problemw would be lack of corporate boxes.

It'd be a temporary home in any case.

Steelheads would be a problem because that's the name of that jock-sniffer Frank D'Angelo's brewery.

Hamilton Tigers.

(That was the team in the very early NHL that moved to NYC and became the NY Americans)

3. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

That little bitty article mentions nothing of the Leafs and Sabres, who could stop any move to Hamilton if they felt like it.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ducks just gave Carlyle a one-year contract extension to 2008-09.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Guess it's time to send a resume to the paper in Hamilton... ;) :D ;D 8)

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Canadian press looks at the NHL awards and makes their predictions:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlFuoVjCqdpZ0wbpTgw3o6J7vLYF?slug=cp-nhl_awards&prov=cp&type=lgns

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

(Insert your own punchline)

TORONTO (AP) — The Calgary Flames have hired Mike Keenan as their new head coach, The Canadian Press reported Wednesday.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, one thing's for sure, Mad Mike won't be able to throw the Flames goalie under the bus

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good god... O/U for this relationship to last?

And yeah, Copps is a temporary fix... and I just cant see Buffalo and Toronto letting a franchise go into Hamilton

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Kipper, Iginla and Phaneuf will be fine. It's the remaining Flames that have to worried about being traded for the 1992 Blackhawks.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, according to the NHL constitution, my understanding is that the Leafs/Buffalo (or any other team) do not have veto powers over franchise start-ups or relocations. It's the Board of Governors who have the final say.

There's also talk that Balsillie will challenge any talk of preventing a move to Hamilton by getting the Canadian Competition Bureau (a federal agency) involved. They may take a dim view of any attempt of restraint of trade in the Leaf's market.

However, the Preds deal still has to be approved by the NHL board--not necessarily a slam dunk.

And hell, if it's approved, maybe Balsillie will do an Al Davis.

However, the SW Ontario market is grossly underserved by professional hockey. 7 million people (about 20% of the country's population) and there's only one hockey team? And about 20% of Sabres season ticket holders come from the other side of the border.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree that it's underserved, but is Hamilton the place? London, I think, is the best geogrpahical spot but not population wise... I still think Quebec, then Winnipeg, would be better...
    Can Toronto/Hamilton/Buffalo support three teams like NYR/NYI/NJ?

Draft saved Draft deleted