1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL awards/draft/off-season/training camp/preseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The first two I definitely could see. Fleury is a possibility, but with arbitration being offered, I think the team amy just ride that out and be satisfied with the one year deal to make sure that this last half year wasn't a fluke. And there is no way Stall is a $4 million+ a year player, especially coming off of this last season. great rookie season, sure, but this year was far off it. If he gets more than 2.5 mil I am highly disappointed. A 2 year $5 mil contract I think would be more appropriate.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I know as professionals we shouldn't get giddy over meeting athletes, no matter how big they are, and generally I have no problem with this, usually cool as cucumber. The one exception is when I get to meet an old time sporting legend - today was one of those days and it only lasted about 10 minutes.
    Covering the Hockey Alberta hall of fame induction I got to shoot the shit with Glenn Hall. One of my all-time favourites. We actually talked more than hockey, which was cool. I had been covering soccer all day and had to rush to the media event, was actually a little bit late, but got to talk to him one-on-one. And since I had been outside all afternoon I was still wearing my Chicago Bears hat, and my Chicago connection was the first thing he asked me about when I introduced myself. We ended up spending more time talking about the Cubs than doing the interview, until he was pulled away for another interview. Despite an early deadline I could have talked sports with him all night.
    It totally made my weekend.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Glenn Hall is a very nice man. Had the opportunity to interview him between periods at a game I covered a few years ago and I asked him how many coats of paint were on that barn of his.

He laughed. "Quite a few," he chuckled.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet.

First-round order for next weekend. Spector has the full order on his blog.

Round 1

1. Tampa Bay
    2. Los Angeles
    3. Atlanta
    4. St. Louis
    5. NY Islanders
    6. Columbus
    7. Toronto
    8. Phoenix
    9. Nashville (from FLA)
    10. Vancouver
    11. Chicago
    12. Anaheim (from EDM)
    13. Buffalo
    14. Carolina
    15. Nashville
    16. Boston
    17. Calgary
    18. Ottawa
    19. Columbus (from COL)
    20. NY Rangers
    21. New Jersey
    22. Edmonton (from ANA)
    23. Washington
    24. Minnesota
    25. Montreal
    26. Buffalo (from S.J.)
    27. Philadelphia
    28. Los Angeles (from DAL)
    29. Atlanta (from PIT)
    30. Detroit

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Huh ... it's different than years past, or at least as long ago as when I was doing draft stories.

They're doing the first round on Friday night and 2-7 on Saturday.

Is this new?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to remember it started at around noon on Saturday --that's when there were nine rounds and they finished up on Sunday.

I think they've been starting it Friday night since the lockout.

8. Flash - If I remember correctly, NHL started this last year in an effort to get one more prime time showcase of the NHL and hockey on Versus/TSN. I don't mind the change because it helps break up the always lengthy first round selection process because tv and trades.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Might make for a neat way to spend Friday night, considering I have a big Saturday in the mountains tentatively planned.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Brampton has a first rounder in Cody Hodgson--first one since Wolski went 20 (21st?) overall. Will be watching for sure on Friday.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There should be plenty of OHL studs taken in the first besides my boy Hodgson and his longtime minor hockey teammate Steven Stamkos, who will got first overall to the Bolts:

D Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, Alex Pietrangelo (best hair of any first rounder IMO) and F Josh Bailey and Mikkel Boedker. D Michael Del Zotto and Tyler Cuma might sneak in there too.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Definitely a big year for the O, especially on the blue line.

Draft saved Draft deleted