1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL All-Star voting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Um ... yeah ... based on the general tone of this thread already, there is no point.

And you're the one getting all twisted up about a game that is, in effect, a marketing ploy. I can't imagine how that isn't clear as water to you.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I imagine it was a lot better when there were six teams and the game was played at the start of each season between the previous year's Stanley Cup champion and players from the other five teams. Bad blood galore.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least it's not North America vs. Europe, where teammates would face each other. Idiotic.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think they should have a game where all the left-handed shots face all the players with right-handed shots.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull could play half the game with each team. :D

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At least they tried to change it up. They need to do that thing Bill Simmons keeps suggesting with the NBA, and let captains pick teams right before tip-off.

Could you see LeBron standing there representing the East and Kobe gets the first pick for the west and takes Garnett, so Bron takes Duncan. That'd be fun.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Clear as water . . .

We have a saying back home, 'If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black send it back.'

A hell, the only thing worth watching at the NHL all-star game is the skills competition the day before, and even that is turning into a gong show. If they wanted to make that even remotely relevent, each team should have their individual skills competitions before the all-star game and send their best out of that to the NHL skills competition. But that's me trying my hardest to care about the game. I really don't care. I don't think anyone missed it when it was skipped for the Olympics and the lockout.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would rather them skip the game and end the season before the end of June

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And I would certainly be fine with that.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

And the All-Star break is kinda like "Reading Week" at universities (well, at least up here).

Everyone gets a week off to catch up on their school work and reading and everyone's pissed off to Florida or Mexico or skiing in Vermont.

"To hell with the all-star break, everyone go home and spend three days with your family".

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Times three.

Draft saved Draft deleted