1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL All Star game mid-week bomb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by indiansnetwork, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

On Mike and Mike this morning they said the TV Land rerun of the Andy Griffith Show out-drew the NHL All-Star game.

By 85 percent.

Ouch indeed.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Personally I like Mark Cuban's spin on NHL ratings when he was up in Toronto for a basketball game.

If you base your viewership on the North American audience, the NHL outdraws the NBA most nights.

As he said, when Hollywood announces weekend box office receipts, it's both for Canada and the U.S. They don't separate out the two.

Cuban would make a great NHL owner. Shake up the friggin' old boys network.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I did see that. I enjoy what Colbert is doing; even if it is or started out as just a farce, it's bringing some really great publicity to Ontario junior hockey, which is always a good thing.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I had a discussion about this over the weekend with my cousin, a big time Ranger fan. We agreed that:

1. The All-Star game has become superfluous in all sports, not just hockey.

2. The Vs. telecast was dreadful.

2. The unbalanced schedule has limited exposure of young stars to a wider audience.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    The unbalanced schedule means that although we hear all sorts of things about rookies like Malkin, practically no one in the east has heard of players like the Avs' Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny, who are 3rd and 4th in scoring behind Malkin & Kopitar.

6. BG

BG Member

Hell, if you're living in a Western Conference city, the unbalanced schedule has limited your exposure to the entire Eastern Conference, and vice versa.

Two or three weeks ago, Montreal came to Detroit for the first time since 2002. That's just ridiculous.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I hold this sign too. Didn't even know it was on, might've watched a few minutes if I had known ... otherwise, who cares until the Cup playoffs.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Frankly, as a huge hockey fan, I'll take more regular-season hockey games over the All-Star game. Nobody finishes their checks. Why? Because there are no checks and no hitting. I don't know what you call that crap, but it's not hockey.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We call it pond hockey, shinny, pick up, beer league, old timers, adult rec....

Wait...there's more hitting in any of those. :)

10. BG

BG Member

Yep. I was actually glad they put the ASG on mid-week, because when the weekend rolled around, I had my full slate of real hockey. Or, at least as real as it's going to get under the current regime.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nothing wrong with a televised game of shinny.

You simply need to adjust your expectations.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The only thing that saved the telecast for me was the third period when they had Marty Turco miked up. That was entertaining!

Draft saved Draft deleted