1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL 2013: Off-Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Re: NHL 2012: Off-Season Running Thread

The day Hitchcock and his ilk get put out to pasture will be a good day for the league

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Care to be more specific, JC. Not being argumentive, just curious.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hate defensive minded hockey, and Hitchcock is the worst of a bad lot. Having said that, he is a brilliant hockey mind and I understand why owners and gm's would hire him.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hitch cook easily be coach of the year after getting as much as he did out of that St. Louis roster.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has absolutely nothing to do with what Liut and I were talking about but thanks for playing.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

No. They would have to move some pieces. They already have more than $61 million committed for next season. To get Parise, they have to move Kane ($6.3 mil per) + someone else (Montador 2.75mil?)

As far as moving Kane goes, I know certain media outlets are pushing hard for it, but I have no idea if there is any real chance of it happening, reports are they are certainly unhappy with him and his immaturity.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I thought he did a nice job in Dallas, getting them to play an uptempo, attacking game. He was the scapegoat for a lack of finances and his top players being injured down the stretch last season. With Washington's personnel, he could be a good fit.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Exactly, there's probably not a coach or general manager in hockey who hasn't encouraged retribution some way, but to think Crawford told Bertuzzi to stalk the guy, sucker punch him from behind and drive his head hard into the ice — I just don't buy it.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Bertuzzi deserves about 90% of the blame for what happened, Crawford picks up some of the remaining 10% for the way he fostered the atmosphere of vengeance on the Canucks immediately following the hit on Naslund. I remember him being one of the most vocal afterwards, and he certainly did little calm the team down. It's one thing to call for retribution on a hit, it's another to let the emotions build for three weeks and then light a match underneath it -- if you're so set on retribution, why not take your first crack at it, regardless of the score of the game, opening faceoff or Moore's first time on the ice in their first game after the hit, get it done and move on -- don't wait for a blowout because it is convenient; or not calming your team down AFTER Moore had already fought -- how many times was he expected to drop the gloves? There's so much that pisses me off about the case. But yes Crawford does deserve some blame, but by far the lions' share sits in Bertuzzi's lap.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398717

Looks like Teemu is coming back for another year.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

NHL Awards tonight, who you got?

Norris: Erik Karlsson, Otw -- Terrific year, 78 points, was rock solid. Makes a great first pass, and is just a smart player. Makes it look simple out there. Best Swedish defenceman since Lidstrom? :p Weber would not surprise.

Hart: Evgeni Malkin, Pit -- As good as Quick was during the post-season, that was Malkin during the regular season, carrying the Penguins to the second best record in the East.

Calder: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Edm -- Maybe a little homer playing in me, but he tied for the rookie scoring lead, despite playing 20 games less than Landeskog. Very underrated defensively. Played in all situations. The Oil were a far better team with him in the lineup than when he was out.

Vezina: Henrik Lundquist, NYR -- I think it should go to Quick, but Lundquist had the PR machine going the entire second half of the season as the second coming of Jesus Christ. Since these awards are voted pre-playoffs, I think it's Lundquists -- he also has the stats to back it up with no controversy. His MVP nominations should tip the hand.

Ted Lindsay: See the Hart.

Jack Adams: Hitchcock, StL -- The guy knows how to win. It's ugly, boring as shit, but he wins. He took a floundering, young, sub-.500 team and turned them into the second best team in the West when no one thought they would be anywhere near there. MacLean in Ottawa would be my second pick.

Selke: Patrice Bergeron, Bos -- Carried the best plus/minus between the three nominated, great in the faceoff dot, just a terrific defensive forward. Also solid offensively.

Lady Byng Memorial: Who cares? -- I didn't see either Moulson or Campbell play enough this year to really judge how sportsmanlike they are. By default I guess that leaves me with Eberle.

Messier leadership: Shane Doan -- Should almost be a career award for him. Always overlooked and underrated. What he has done as captain in Phoenix has been an amazing show of perseverance, especially this year leading them to a division title.

GM of the year: Dave Tallon -- When people, myself included, thought he was taking on salary for the sake of taking on salary to hit the salary floor, he actually managed to piece together a pretty good team. Don't think many had them reaching the playoffs, and most had them out in a sweep. Blackhawks have gotta be kicking themselves for cutting him loose in favour of the Bowmans.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Maybe Vegas brought it out in her but Erin Andrews is dressed like a high-class hooker. Good Lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted