1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL 2013: Off-Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Re: NHL 2012: Off-Season Running Thread

Already one move made. The Lightning acquire goalie Anders Lindback, minor league forward Kyle Wilson and a seventh round pick from the Predators for two second round picks in the upcoming draft, a third round pick next year and goalie Sebastian Caron.

Lindback was 5-8-0 with a 2.42 GAA and a .912 save percentage last year playing behind Rinne. One has to assume though he will be the starter next year for Tampa Bay.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Anyone other than Detroit in the running for Suter/Weber? Based on what I've viewed-read, seems almost a forgone conclusion.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The big complicating factor is Zach Parise and how much cap space they try to preserve in attempt to get both.

The Preds say they will try to keep them, how successful they are is yet to be seen. Philadelphia is also thought to be in on the sweepstakes if it looks like Pronger is done. Some team will come out of the works in a bid for them -- I'm looking at you Washington, especially if they walk away from Semin. Edmonton will also put in a bid, but I'm in no way holding my breath, a more likely answer for them could be Jason Garrison out of Florida.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd love for the Caps to go after Parise, but everything I've heard has him going to Chicago if he doesn't re-sign with the Devils.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Does Chicago have the cap space for Parise?

Wishing he would come to Minnesota (fanboi), but I doubt that will happen.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not complicated at all. They have plenty of cap space (about $20 million) to sign both.

Who knows if they go after both, but they have the room?

And no one is getting Weber this year. He's only an RFA. Preds have said they would match any offer for him.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

After posting last night, tuned into NHL Network and it also speculated Philly would be a player for Suter. However, apparently he wants to stay in the West.

Pretty enlightening coverage. I'll plead ignorance. Didn't realize how much turnover might come in Philly and that Nash was a goner. Howson denied anything concrete, but Chase was adamant Nash will be moved.

Oh, and Chase didn't pull any punches about Bryz being a basketcase.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard Cicago. Lou Nanne has said that nobody will outbid Minnesota. Whether he ends up there is a different story but the cash will be there from the Wild. Who the hell knows this time of year.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Did not realize it was that much, just checked capgeek and it's actually 28 million. I would be very surprised if Suter wasn't in Detroit next year and they should be able to max out on a Parise in the process.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A few of us got on a St. Louis Blues tangent on "The Worst Owner in Sports History" thread.

Elliotte indicated Vladimir Tarasenko is likely to sign with St. Louis, barring a lockout. IIRC, Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch reported a couple of weeks ago it would be a two-way contract and for a heck of a lot less than the KHL.

From the limited, and I do mean limited, amount of what I've seen of Tarasenko, he's definitely a talent. But I've read some bits and pieces indicating there is a potential red flag with regard to maturity. St. Louis is still a young, evolving team. Not that maturity issues are exclusive to any nationality, but most of us saw what happened to Nashville. Hell, I had the Preds in the Final until midway through the Los Angeles-St.Louis series.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Liut. I haven't read as much as I could/should on Tarasenko. But it sounds like given the state of the Blues' offensive doldrums for much of this season, it may be worth a gamble to get him in there, red flags and all.

The wild card is if this ownership group is willing to spend some big bucks to make a splash and bring in some proven scorers. If those proven scorers are out there to be had ...

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure, Hitch will kick his ass in gear, or he'll find himself in Peoria.

Draft saved Draft deleted