1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL 2013: Off-Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Might as well start one of these since the Stanley Cup Finals is over.

The Draft is next Friday in Pittsburgh. Then on July 1st Free Agency begins.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Re: NHL 2012: Off-Season Running Thread

Lots of teams asking about Rick Nash.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398436

With the draft right around the corner, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he did get traded. The asking price will be pretty high, though.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If they were really aggressive, they could get a lot done this off-season in a rebuild. They could move Nash and get some top talent back. The top pick in the draft is also up for grabs, and it would cost them less than anyone else to jump up and get it because the Oilers would be guaranteed to get Murray. Yakupov would be a terrific player to build a future around. Plus, as far as Russians go, he speaks pretty decent English, is not afraid of the spotlight and has some charisma. I don't think he's Ovechkin in those categories, but he's not Malkin either. He's s guy you can put in public and know he will be able to sell some tickets. Tambellini has made no secret that he is willing to deal the pick for the right price,what that price is, however, I do not know. They are one team that won't be talking Nash, however.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So if Marc Crawford becomes the next coach of the Caps, and I have no idea if that will indeed happen, what should we'uns here in D.C. think?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Really tough to say, Moddy. I think he is still dining out on the Cup he won with the Avs in '96, but he hasn't had a ton of success since then with Vancouver, LA and Dallas. He just seems to be one of those guys who have fallen to that group that gets mentioned for every vacancy out there.

Of course if it gets him off TSN I'm happy.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wonder if Detroit is gearing up to take a run at defenceman Shea Weber.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Crawford probably wouldn't be the worst option for them. He would likely be unsuccessful, but his offense first system and his preference to established veteran offensive players would probably be very compatible with Washington. They would, in essence, be going back to their original system of all out offense and relying on their goaltender to keep them ahead.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You should love it. I am a big fan of Crawfords so I may be biased but the game needs coaches like him. You will play up tempo, offensive hockey and he will not take shit from his stars.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't think it is fair to sya he didn't have success in Vancouver. If you look at where the team was when he took over and where they were when he left, I think he did a really good job. He also had Cloutier in net which means I think he did an even better job.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, true, but he was also up to his ass in that bullshit with Bertuzzi and Steve Moore, mebbe that's clouding my judgment.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A lot of that is Bertuzzi's camp shifting the blame.

Draft saved Draft deleted