1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NH editor calls out weekly sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cullen9, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

I have to post this, as I've stayed in constant contact with Roger before he ran the column and Milliken, the 'journalist' at question, has stolen my work time and time again:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/regret-the-error/166724/new-hampshire-editors-front-page-column-calls-out-competitors-sports-editor-for-plagiarism/

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good for the editor. Your staff busts their humps, no reason for someone to just steal their work.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same thing (plagarism) happened to me at a weekly once too. The suspect told me "I didn't put my byline on it, so it's not plagarism." Glad to see the editor's got his reporter's back.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Agreeing with Baron and Han.

Nice to have a boss who has your back.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure this was a burning issue of the day for the readers.

6. I

As a journalist -- and one who has had his work similarly "borrowed" -- I'm outraged. But I've gotta agree. Readers don't care; they'll look at it as a pissing match and probably even wonder, what's the big deal? Free flow of information and all that. Because many (most?) readers don't understand what we do, and how much hard work it can be.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I don't think most readers really care about plagiarism, and that's sad. And they'll view the column as petty. Though I'm glad that the writer said he's gotten positive feedback.

Hope the weekly's publisher will take action against the SE.

8. Padre

Padre Member

I respectfully disagree with the previous 3 comments ... this is a business, and when it involves papers covering the same game, we're most likely competing for readers. They deserve to know which paper has credibility, as do advertisers. Calling this clown out on Page 1 is definitely worthy of readers.

Evidently, this has been on-going with this lazy hack, and it pisses me off that he's got this job
    at all, especially in these times. Stuff like this is embarrassing when papers are hanging on by a fingernail as it is.

9. Padre

Padre Member

I'm at a 25K daily, and this would draw 50 comments on our website, which is a pretty good number. :)

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I believe most readers would not care and many of them would think "they just all make up shit anyway."

But I agree that things like this need to be presented to the public. This is a theft of a product, a fraud, and should be exposed.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I would add that in a time of citizen journalism and content farming, the public could use a reminder that stealing is stealing.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's a boss who has his own back. This is terrible news judgment for a 1A story. It's a fine online post. I think anyone who has ever been caught plagiarizing should be exposed enough that any Google search of his or her name would begin with "Joe Blow plagiarizes Podunk Press column."

But putting the story on 1A is absurd. If you're arguing the line of thinking that this is theft, would you put a shoplifting arrest on 1A?

Draft saved Draft deleted