1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL's top 100 players... according to CBS Sports...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 17, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with much of this, but I can understand holding Miller down for now. He needs to show he can make it through an entire season healthy.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it's funny that he overvalued 2011 in that case, but failed to do so when he put Rivers in at No. 20. I can see the argument for Manning over Roethlisberger going forward due to the injury concerns with Roethlisberger, but Rivers has to show something to be considered among the top 20 players in the NFL again.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone think Ware is too high at No. 3?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I saw Unitas play (on TV) in the decline phase of his career and I always had kind of the feeling he was slightly overrated.

He "only" won two titles, early in his career and arguably in a relatively weak era for the league (between the Lions/Browns dynasties of the 50s and before the Packer dynasty of the 60s). His numbers were awesome for his period and I certainly would rank him top-5 or so, but as a kid starting to watch sports in the mid-1960s, the phase "Johnny Unitas is the greatest quarterback who ever lived" seemed to be something like the football equivalent of the Nicene Creed -- something you were required to say whether you believed it or not.

I'd put Sammy Baugh top-5 not only for his passing performance (also awesome for its day) but in addition to the fact he was an all-league defensive back most of his career as well as being arguably the best punter of all time.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can only say Unitas and Montana were the best I saw play. Too young for Graham and of course, Baugh, who my dad, who grew up in the District, says was the best ever and it's not close. I'd put Brady and Manning a nose behind Unitas and Montana. Marino's in there and so's Elway and then a little gap and Bradshaw, Sonny Jurgensen and Favre. I think it's foolish to judge players from eras you didn't experience. You're either going on the Stone Age stats of football yesteryear, or by other people's anecdotes.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is one of many reasons picking a "greatest quarterback ever" is kind of a joke. It's impossible to do.
    How do you say Unitas or Graham wouldn't have been as good or better, statwise, than Peyton Manning with modern rules and offensive schemes? Baugh was obviously a great athlete, but Favre was certainly the most durable. Even among contemporaries, Montana won four Super Bowls, but Elway played in five and had better overall stats.
    Picking a greatest ever is pretty much impossible. You can get 8 or 10 that are in the discussion, but beyond that it's mostly personal opinion.

7. ETN814

ETN814 Member

Not necessarily a disagreement, but I'd like to know where you would put Gronk.

And I agree that Thomas is ranked improperly ... he's way too high. Guy is an awful run blocker.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That provided for about 15 hours of sports talk radio in DC yesterday, I'm sure. I turn on LaVar and Dukes on my way home from work and they're bitching about A. Orakpo being too low and B. Him being the only Redskins player on the list. I listened for about 15 seconds. And heard LaVar say "that being said..." about 6 times.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

That list is his opinion. Next!

10. Mizzougrad96

I love these kind of lists even when I disagree with a lot of what is said.

It's not like Prisco is some uninformed hack.

11. Mizzougrad96

As far as Gronkowski is concerned, I have a hard time believing that any tight end is a top 10 player.

He was spectacular last season, there's no denying that. I'd have him in the 20-25 range.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit, he might be the second best TE on that team. Can you line up Gronk at running back?

Draft saved Draft deleted