1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL WR living on $60K a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I was Broyles' age, $60,000 a year was a distant dream.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The inevitable comparisons to professional athletes started later on this thread than I would have thought.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree. It's the same reason I don't watch "All in the Family."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Broyles could eat almost for free on an annual basis. The team facility serves breakfast and lunch every day, and when they go on the road they get $120 a day AND full catering service.

Not sure how big his family is, but if he pockets his road per diems (roughly $3,000 a year), his food bills would be negligible.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My family of four spends way more than $3,000 a year on food. Probably twice that -- if not more. Of course, I'm not eating at the training table, either.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure but I think some teams do take a small amount out of paychecks to cover all the food available to the players in the clubhouse cafeterias and locker room training tables.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not really the issue of could he make it work. The issue is not getting caught up in the free-spending ways that many athletes and other newly rich seem to fall into.

Hell, it seems that there is a tragic story about almost everyone who hits it big in the lottery.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Humorous the big argument is the $60K figure. Even if he pays for health insurance and a bunch of other expenses, he's still spending about a fifth of his income.

LongTimeListener and JackReacher like this.
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. The big picture seems to get lost a lot around here. Nitpicking is way more fun.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

An acquaintance of mine has been played in the major leagues for several years. He's on the lower end of the salary scale, but still makes seven figures. Doubt he spends more than $60-70K per year. Him and his wife drive older cars, and live in an affordable apartment community in the suburbs. His biggest expense is flying his wife out for some road trips.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm cruising along a burn rate that's about 4.99 fifths of my income.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, the girlfriend has to cost more. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted