1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL WR living on $60K a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, could Cooley have been lying? Sure. But he's got a history of being one of the most open and accessible athletes in this area. Did he maybe go into the bank as opposed to the drive-thru? Maybe. I heard him tell the story like 4-5 years ago maybe. But I have no reason to think he was lying about taking his signing bonus check to the bank and asking for $200 back.

Edit.....From the WaPo, Sept. 14, 2007: Tight end Chris Cooley is being chided by teammates for depositing his recent $9 million signing bonus check at a drive-through lane of a Leesburg bank. Cooley said the transaction did not surprise the teller. "She just took a little bit longer to come back out," he said.

Arrival of Caldwell Could Pose a Challenge to Lloyd

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This isn't right. Hell, I've deposited a check into an ATM for more than $10k. The IRS paperwork gets involved when its a cash deposit of more than $10k (anti-moneylaundering)

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All I know is when I got a settlement check after being hit by a drunk driver, my bank made me do a form. In person.

They said it was for the IRS.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do players have to pay anything for health care? Anything taken out of the check? Or does the league foot the bill for everything?

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

MLB paystub for Andrew McCutchen doesn't have any health insurance deductons.

[​IMG]

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The blacks get it free under Obamacare.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Damn ... $880K in federal income tax withholding. Thinking of that scene in Raising Arizona ... "Government do take a bite, don't she?"

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why don't you say it the way you really want to say it? Jesus.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're dumb.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That was clearly expressed.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Incredibly racist remark.
    Shouldn't be tolerated on this board.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I could live on $60,000 a year. Pretty easily.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted