1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL WR living on $60K a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It'd be a great video to see the reaction of the clerk when you take that thing to a check cashing place.
    And then to see Peterson make like he's returning a 90-yard punt for a touchdown as he scrambles through the lobby to make it out of there alive.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I remember Chris Cooley telling a story on the radio a few years ago about his signing bonus check. I think it was a $5M check. He went through his bank's drive-thru lane, filled out a deposit slip, and asked for $200 back in cash. Real power move.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was the old story of Grace Metalious, , who, after receiving her advance for writing "Peyton Place", went around to different banks and stores in her hometown, where she was not very popular, and asked them to cash the check for her.

Supposedly, she also did lose most of her money as well.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It is a bigger story these days when athletes don't go broke.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There was a recent story about the University of Miami setting up an MBA program specifically designed for former and current NFL players to manage their funds.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I had had a few beers when he told me this, but ...

When he won his first PGA Tour event, Roger Maltbie apparently had quite the time showing off his check at whatever bar he happened to be patronizing back then ... until he woke up the next morning and realized he'd lost his check there the night before.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You also get a lot of stuff for free when making that kind of money, so it's a bit easier to spend only $60k/year.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This seems like a good time to remember that Bobby Bonilla is making $1.7 million this year from the Mets and the Orioles. He's 50.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought about this, too. But I think that probably applies moreso to the big time players, right? I mean, sure, anyone can get a car deal I guess. But I doubt he's getting comped at Harris Teeter or anything. His wife and her friends probably aren't getting the hook job every time they go out for brunch. He probably foots the bill at Macy's. Right?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It would be more clothes, shoes, headphones and other items from the NFL official sponsors when their truck or reps pull into the team headquarters.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was at the old Massachusetts tournament at Pleasant Valley out in central Mass. PS: When my wife was a TV producer for a local station in the '80s, one entry-level college grad in her department necer cashed a single paycheck. She kept them in a desk drawer.
    Woman's last name was Rothschild. Those Rothschilds.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't believe the Cooley story.

From personal experience I know that if you deposit a check of more than $10,000 it has to be in person because the bank is required to do some IRS paperwork that the depositor has to sign. It has been a few years ago but I don't think that has changed.

With that rule in mind, it is easy to see why a person might carry a big check around. Their hometown bank doesn't have a branch where they are, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted