1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL WR living on $60K a year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Aug 11, 2015.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Not true at all. He could have had a nice downpayment and a mortgage of $1500 a month and found a quite nice place somewhere in the Lone Star State.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No state income tax certainly helps.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he makes the "nice down payment," he's not "living on $60,000 a year."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I suppose you could play that technical gotcha game and add his down payment to his annual average like a prorated bonus ... but what if he made the down payment (or paid the whole thing) in 2013? Then it isn't an annual expense.

Anyway you've got your full Starman hard-on going for this, but most people get the gist of the story.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Has anyone verified this story? Did he provide receipts and bank statements? Does a financial advisor back this up? Has any other journalist found this guy and asked follow-up questions? It's a nice story that fits a narrative, but is it true?

6. LongTimeListener

There is that.

I looked at this as a training-camp filler above anything else. Notebook regurgitation. Fine for meaningless summer fluff, not so fine for slut-shaming women who accuse hockey stars of rape.

JackReacher likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect Broyles and his family are probably living on TAKE-HOME money of $60,000 a year ($1,153 a week). That's do-able.

8. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Whatever the specifics, I give him and his wife big credit for even attempting that in light of all the temptation to do otherwise.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Patrick Peterson went weeks last year without cashing a $15 million signing bonus check.

Patrick Peterson Hasn't Cashed $15 Million Signing Bonus Check - Business Insider

I recall a similar story about Barry Sanders back in the early 90s. He had several checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars sitting in his glovebox for months. Some of the Lions' payroll people had to get on to him about it because it was messing up the books.

Liut likes this.
  10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I remember stories Manny Ramierez (baseball version) having checks just sitting in his locker for ages.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I can't believe they'd still write a check for a $15 million payment. They wouldn't do some sort of account transfer or direct deposit?

12. LongTimeListener

Manny, while in Cleveland, once asked a reporter if he could borrow $60,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted