1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wk 10 Thread: Slash can punt/pass/run/receive/be subject of Internet rumors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Nov 9, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, now it's bonus points for something not on the stat sheet. Comical.

Orton has more yards, more yards per attempt and fewer interceptions than Rodgers despite the team getting rid of his best receiver from last year. (I guess Jackson being out counts, but Marshall doesn't, right?)

Did I say it wasn't even close? No. But Orton has been better. The only reason you are so quick to say Rodgers and Brees are better players is the consideration of track record along with statistics.

But hey, by all means, give Rivers the Best-Quarterback-of-the-First-Half-of-the-2010-NFL-season award. Doesn't make him the best in the NFL by my definition, which would be a distinction based on past and present performance, but maybe it fits yours.

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I wasn't aware QB rushing yards don't show up on a stat sheet. Oh wait, they do.

Orton: 90 yards, O TDs.
    Rodgers: 173 yards, 3 TDs.

So yards, yards per attempt and number of interceptions are how we decide a better quarterback? Those three stats and no others? I guess completion percentage and TDs mean jack shit.

Next time think before typing something so incredibly stupid.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cool cover; reminder of when there was also Sport magazine and Inside Sports. Not very accurate in hindsight, but still nice for reminiscing.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I HATE WHEN EVERYBODY FIGHTS ALL YOU'RE DOING IS HURTING THE REST OF US!!!!

*storms upstairs and begins cranking Faster Pussycat's House of Pain*

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Regarding Rivers, he is doing a lot of things that are causing his team to fall behind, leading to the need to rack up all those gaudy numbers. Against Oakland he held the ball way too long on the key play, a sack/fumble that was returned for a touchdown to make it an eight-point game and essentially salt it away for the Raiders. He made similar mistakes against Kansas City in the opener and later against New England. Those games look very nice on the stat line, which I love as a Rivers fantasy owner, but the stat line doesn't even come close to telling the story.

6. outofplace

We were using passing statistics. Then you wanted to switch to justify your argument when you and I both know that you are considering track record when you dismiss the idea of Orton being better than Rodgers and Brees.

Track record matters when evaluating players. Otherwise, you are just talking about the guy who had the best eight or nine games so far.

Now I'm going to try a different example and admit that I am using different players to make the same argument.

Is Darren McFadden a better running back than Chris Johnson? He has more yards rushing per game, a much better average per carry, more total yards rushing and much better stats as a receiver.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

All QBs, except for PEYTON MANNING, MOTHERFUCKERS!, have flaws, but do you honestly think the Chargers are more than a 4-win team without Rivers, especially this year?

8. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Don't attempt to read my mind. You lack the requisite intelligence.

9. outofplace

How many wins do you think the Colts have this year without Manning?

10. outofplace

No human being does. Those voices in your head aren't other people's thoughts. You might want to see somebody about that.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You mean the track record that includes Rivers having thrown for 8,000-plus yards and 62 TDs the last two seasons entering this year, including a league-leading 34 TDs in 2008? He also posted QB ratings of 104-plus in both seasons. And if you go back a year earlier, he led the team to the AFC championship game. And the year before that, his first as a starter, he threw for 22 TDs and only 9 INTs. Rivers has been an elite QB for quite awhile. Any idiot can regurgitate stunning analysis like, "Peyton Manning is really good," but it takes someone with a little smarts and intellectual honesty to dig a little deeper and not throw shit at the wall then defend it to the death.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Depends who's taking his place, hence the relevance to this debate about who is the best QB. They would probably be 6-3 or 7-2 with Manning, yes, I think so. I would also say they'd have a better record with Brees right now.

Rivers and Rodgers fit in the same category as guys with big arms who are going to be the class of the league in a few years but for now have not shown they know the subtle ways to win a game. Many of their mistakes are about holding the ball too long, which is something Manning himself used to do up until that playoff loss to the Steelers.

Draft saved Draft deleted